Anyone Good With Network/lan And Nas?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Tricky-Dicky, Feb 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    If the title piques anyone's interest I'll go into detail.:)

2. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    Whats up with your NAS system?

3. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I have already asked on a dedicated forum without much success so far.

I have some experience of home network etc but by no means in the know, I am having a real problem with a new NAS and i am trying to find out if its just a configuration issue or a fault.

First i will outline my set up and go from there to save you having to ask too many questions to find out,
    Router is a TalkTalk HG633 Super Router which seems to work well....LAN connections are to a Sky Q box two smart TVs direct from router and another LAN to two upstairs switches in different rooms which are in turn connected to another TV a PS4 a desktop PC and two NAS one old Netgear Stora which is off most of the time, and a Zyxel 320s NAS.

And finally wireless to a couple of laptops and a printer all PCs are on windows 10 and all was running at 2.5ghz until i upgraded my laptop to windows 10 and i then noticed that it was connecting through the 5ghz band.

All of this works well with no problems until i bought a Terra Master F5-221 a few days ago and its been a pig ever since ...on turning on it will connect via its own software and i can see it on the router and the network form most devices then i get maybe 5 to 10 mins of fiddling/setting up and then it just disappears from LAN until i turn it off then on again and the same cycle continues.

I have tried the following....set the NAS to static IP with DCHP disabled and assigned a reserved IP in the router and its still the same also left auto config as DCHP etc but the same result either way i have no IP conflicts that i can find so i am now starting to think its a hardware issue on the NAS
    any ideas on this problem would be most welcome.

4. Judd Dredd

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    So the Terra Master is a replacement to the Netgear and Zyxel NAS?

5. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Sort of but the Zyxel is still running as it has all my films on it no conflicts there if thats what you thinking.

6. b_badger

b_badger Active Member

May 11, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    connect it direct to a PC/Laptop via a cat5/6 cable, give both a static IP. If it still doesn't behave it's faulty.

7. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

Just tried that and the laptop reports a connection but i cannot access it it has a web based communication and setup ...did find it on the network and contact it directly when i have logged into it but no way to connect with LAN to LAN.

So it seems like there is a signal when connected direct but when on network i pinged the IP via CMD and it reported the IP could not be found ?

8. Judd Dredd

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    how does it run without the Zyxel connected and how about without the printers connected? I understand that the Terra Master doesn't play well with either.

9. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Thought i had it sorted then ...rebooted and then changed the IP address in the seeker app and got it to connect both to its application and also found it on the network then found i wouldn't reconnect to its application even though it was still running on the network it seemed to stay connected for longer but now back to the old behavior.

Previous to this i pinged it via CMD and it was no present and rebooted and it came back but then disappeared again i have also turned on tcp over net bios in an attempt to solve it not being visible...oh well back to the drawing board.

10. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
  11. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Just tried without my Zyxel NAS running and still no go the new IP address i assigned reset itself to the original when i restarted the TNAS the printer is wireless so shouldn't cause a problem...this just doesn't make sense as i have tried so many options it should connect/stay connected so it going to have to go back unless i find if this is a connection problem or hardware.

12. b_badger

b_badger Active Member

May 11, 2019
    Cambs, UK
    Disconnect everything else from the network, so just internet, NAS, laptop.

Can you update the firmware via a USB port on the NAS box?

13. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

43558C4E-C231-4EF7-AA64-A1EC50603461.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • WTF WTF x 1
  14. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Back on track....surprise! given up on it and sending it back for a replacement and if i still get the same problem i give up.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    No worries I'm sure it would have been epic:p
    Mind you the nut in a cup is how i was picturing the tech help i was getting from the makers....i mean how can you possibly interrogate the NAS when it have no network connection.: unamused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Oh i dunno ...there may always be a first time.:p:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Seems i am fated with this particular make of NAS sent the faulty one back for a refund and bought one from somewhere else and now after copying all my files and pics across to the new one and now its managed to loose all my files...not happy as the pics are irreplaceable.:mad::sob:

18. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I feel your pain, I've worked in IT (software) for over 30 years and I find it infuriating and massively frustrating when hardware or software fails to work like it should :mad:.

If its any help, should you decide to replace the NAS again, I've used Synology kit and not had any issues, I've had the previous model the the NAS below for 5 years (with 2 x WD 3TB drives) with no issues, apart from a couple of occasions I've just had to reboot it because of lost network connectivity.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-DS220j-Bay-Desktop-Enclosure/dp/B084CLC39K

19. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Thanks! the reason i bought this one is because it has five bays...i previously was using a two bay but all the well known NAS are expensive in comparison my cheap Zyxel NAS has never let me down in 6 years by comparison.