Anyone Ever Bought Or Sold A Bike This Way? (is It A Con?)

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by Bad Billy, Aug 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?

Is this a legitimate & worth a punt?

Poll closed Aug 31, 2019.
  1. Complete Con, wouldn't touch with a barge-pole.

75.0%
  2. A new and interesting way to buy & sell a bike.

25.0%
  1. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    https://www.revcomps.com/products/t...tA3kGq5MF6PnWh_rwiX3GDXdpdBG_35kS3g6sxAkaMPiE

I have nothing to do with this link or the bike that is being raffled off, but having seen it, I was intrigued to know whether any of you have ever bought a ticket to this sort of thing?

Potentially if all tickets are sold then the guy gets £12,500 for his bike, but what happens if they don't sell enough tickets by the deadline for instance?

Look forward to hearing peoples views on this, as on paper the odds are so much better than the lottery which I have a go on, so do I divert my lotto money to this for a single punt?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i think going by the what they have written at the bottom they only need to sell half the tickets to cover the price of the bike? i reckon that would be about right for a 2014 model. i'd be a bit wary too but if it's legit it's definitely worth a punt..this is what they say at the bottom of the web site..

We'll call an early draw date on any prize once they hit 50% of tickets sold.

On popular prizes this can take just hours (we've sold out of certain prizes within a day), others it might take a week or so.

We'll guarantee to draw the prize so you get a chance to WIN quickly rather than hang around waiting for all the tickets to sell.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Could be an easy if imaginative way of getting rid of a dog of a bike or could be a genuine way of raising more cash than you would otherwise by advertising it on ebay.

Is that the bike you'll win though?

Worth a punt for £13.92?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    It does say it is the bike that is shown that you win, like you say (if legit) worth a flutter at that price, would love to hear from someone who has done one of these.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    other raffle prizes they are currently running,they only started up in 2019
    prize.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  6. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    #6 Adie P, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Looks VERY tempting but I think I'd want to know if they are covered by the lotteries/gaming regulator and are subject to independent audit before I'd give any substantial amount of money to them.

If they are then it's definitely worth a punt.

Edit :- I'm told that they don't have to be covered by the Gaming Act because they are making the competition a "game of skill" by asking a question that must be answered correctly as a pretect to a valid entry. The web site does say that the company is governed by the rules of the Gambling Commission.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Update, I thought I'd have a punt as a bit of fun, I never win anything and not expecting this to change, but the odds are better than the lotto which is my normal punt of choice! :p

• Like Like x 6
  8. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    "Win a house – Property raffles the new craze to sweep the nation

Where did house raffles come from?
    The raffle of a £1million Devon estate in 2008 was famously the first ‘win a house’ competition that successfully reached completion, and since then the concept has steadily gained momentum."

• Like Like x 1
  9. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I've had a go as well - never won anything but who knows! :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well if we all took a punt and one of us won it then we could have it for 1 weekend of the year. And without meaning to offend anyone by not including them,but not open to overseas members! This includes the Isle of Wight!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Graeme_D

Graeme_D Active Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Edinburgh
    I've seen this kind of selling before on other things.
    As an idea, it's ok. You punt a little bit of cash in the hopes of getting something out of it, and the seller gets a decent payback.
    The downside is, if it became common, people can become addicted to the gambling aspect of it (and despite what the regulations say, it is a form of gambling), and like any other selling method, scammers will be quick to jump on the trend to ruin it for everybody else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Oz228

Oz228 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Inverness
    I play BOTB (spot the ball) quite often, or just play the lifestyle section where you just answer a question. Ranges from 30p to £1 depending on the prize you want. I'm trying to win a Rolex watch for 40p a shot

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Usually an annual fund raiser for some groups in NZ. They start selling tickets to a “party” where the winning ticket is drawn. Drinks snd food included.
    Mate won a 48 Indian and had to call me to come pick it up :grinning:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    so the organisation is registered at companies house but only since the summer;

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11981806

Two employees, (looks like father and son) but dad has other businesses listed since 2005. Would seem a legit company.

15. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Just to update, the draw was made, I didn't win, nor did Steve Lovatt unless he changed his name !

16. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Haha no I didn't win either mate!