Anybody Change Their Own Tyres?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by andyc1, Jul 14, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I seem to go through tyres at quite a rate, don't mind paying to get them changed but its a hassle. Especially this time of year when everybody is busy.
    Does anyone have any experience changing their own? Specifically a tool for breaking the bead? Everything else isn't to difficult with a couple of tyre leavers and some fairy liquid.

2. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Senior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    my local shop only charges me £15 to change so its a lot less buggering about and peace of mind that I haven't made a horlicks of it! :joy:

and the coffee's not bad either......:cool:

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Im quite happy and confident changing them myself, changed them myself when I had the tiger. Breaking the bead on them was tricky but doable with g-cramps and tyre levers. Something I'd rather not try on a big tubeless rear with a small sidewall. Can balance them myself on a wee jig that attaches to a paddock stand. Also have plastic things (can't think of the name) that clip on the edges of the rim to save marking them. They work well. The only real obstacle is breaking the bead. Seen a few different types of bead breakers, just wondering if anybody had any experience of them?

4. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    How do you find the bead breaker? Been looking at similar ones

5. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I remember getting some tyre lube off ebay, it was rubbish. The diluted fairy liquid worked much better. Maybe the stuff I got was just crap. Should be ok on powdercoated alloy I would have thought?

6. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Yes, but it says KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN, so not for you :)
    (those bristles would make your eyes water anyway)

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    My local tyre fitter is only a 5 min walk from my house, If i had all the proper tools I'd possibly do it myself. As for balancing the tyres, I remember being told that even if you have your tyres balanced, as soon as they are fitted onto your bike they become unbalanced, whether there is any truth in that i don't know. i do wonder what difference those tiny weights do, they must do something i guess!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    @andyc1 when you get to actually play with the idea, there’s usually a coloured dot on new tyres and I can’t remember which but it’s marked as the heavy side of the tyre and usually goes opposite the valve

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Cheers, I think its usually a red dot goes next to the valve, I've seen red and yellow dots on tyres though so cant say I'm 100% sure... will have a google... new tyres arriving today but still a few hundred on my current tyres so will probably be changing them next week.

10. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I have one of these ...

https://dirtyprotools.co.uk/product...MI5Z7Qo9rk8QIVU4BQBh1LqwWaEAQYASABEgJDuvD_BwE

.... albeit still in its box waiting for me to sort out my life, and my workshop!

I also have one of these ...

[​IMG]

also still unused - - yet! It doesn't guarantee scratch free rims but will go some way towards that ultimate goal.

I'm aware that tyres can be changed reasonably (!) easily using the zip-tie method but prefer the idea of mechanical advantage!

I will buy a balancer to complete the set and, hopefully, then will start to change my own tyres.

Owning a number of bikes makes the prospect of changing tyres for myself - and, inevitably, I suppose, my mates - a bit self-satisfying and economically sound .... eventually. Maybe I'll write something up when I dive in and get started - just don't hold your breath while you wait for the report! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I have sorted out a bead breaker :) I actually have an old proper tyre changing machine, its 3 phase and not fully working, my 3 phase is a bit dodgy but I connected just the air and the bead breaker part works without electricity :grinning: tyres arrived today too :grinning:
    Changing my own will work well for me, i have a set of s22's which I know will only last 1500 miles, just bought some angel gt's for an upcoming tour so I can chop and change as I need to :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    #12 brown mouse, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    I've also seen several places people pointing out that 'salt' is a generic term for a class of chemicals, and that the salts in things like washing-up liquid aren't like the sodium chloride that we find in the sea and put on our roads and food.

Latest I heard this was a Bennets Bike review of bike cleaners where washing up liquid was pretty well rated, and included a quote from a boffin they checked with about salt. I'd recommend that vid generally for anyone who cleans their bike :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. odie

odie New Member

Sep 15, 2020
    west mids
    Hi all I changed tyres myself for years, used a bead breaker like the sealy one which works well. Also use fitting tyre lube which is a must and washes off the tyre after (prevents wallet opening later). At a push for a bead breaker you can use another bikes side stand which works just as well. The static balancer in the pics above i also use (you will see the same thing in the BSB paddock) and they work so well to the point where you can cut the smallest weights for fine balancing. You can save a few quid as you go along by buying whichever tyres are a bargain at the time (BT016, pirelli diablo) and ride more or pay for a b&b and have 2 days out.

• Like Like x 1
  14. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I'm all sorted, changed them myself last time with no drama :) only problem is I can't balance the rear, its a single sided swing arm and the wheel won't fit in my jig. Didn't bother balancing the rear last time. Done over 3000 miles and hit some silly speeds, no vibration and everything is well.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I have a large bench vice which I use to break beads by squashing both tyre walls together. It wouldn't fit the rear tyre of the Z but I wouldn't attempt tyre changes on such a wide tubeless rim anyway. I use one of the static wheel balancers pictured above. For rim protection while fitting I use pieces cut from plastic milk cartons, tough enough to do the job and thin/flexible enough to easily slip between tyre and rim and easy to pull out when the tyre is on.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Like the milk carton idea! I have those plastic rim protectors but something thinner would be easier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Fido

Fido New Member

Jul 19, 2021
    Blue Eye, MO
    I'm in the Ozark Mountain area of southern Missouri, USA. We have a manufacturer in St. Louis of tire changers, No-Mar. I bought their "Cycle Hill" model changer, mounted it to my garage floor and it has been sweeeeeet. I have had in the past a cheap chinese pos from Harbor Freight that was so bad I used it just to hold the wheel while I used ordinary tire changing tools to remove and install the tires. The result was a lot more work and boogered rims even with "rim savers".
    Enter the No-Mar with delrin super plastic tool ends and rim holders that eliminate the scratching and make things sooooo much easier. It's built like a tank, works like a charm and, yes, cost 3 times as much as the china pos but is worth it!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Cap'n Dave

Cap'n Dave Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2021
    Griffin, GA
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    I barely have room for a spare tyre iron in my garage...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1