Any Trumph riders tempted by the MT 09?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Richard H, Jan 3, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    It appears Yamaha have taken notice of Triumph's success with their Street Triple and built their own version; a triple, light weight, fun and above all at under £7000. After years of trying to sell old models at inflated prices Yamaha appear to be back in the game and their MT 07 and 09 bikes which I believe are top sellers in terms of numbers for last year.

I sat on the new Yamaha Tracer which is a taller MT 09 at the bike show and liked it. I for one will take one for a test ride when they arrive in dealers next month, and it may make a more exciting alternative to my Current Tiger when time comes to move on.

I hope Triumph will surprise us with one or two new models before long as I do love the Triumph brand, if they don't the competition already have a foot in the door.

2. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I had a look at the Tracer as well,it certainly got all the credentials for a good long distance bike and I'm sure they'll sell bucket loads.For some reason it didn't float my boat though I might take a test ride to see if it can change my mind.

The 2 bike that really caught my attention were the BMW R1200R and R1200RS.

Like you I'd prefer to stay with Triumph as I have a good relationship with my dealer,but if they don't make a bike I want then I might be forced to change.

3. I had had a test ride on the MT-09 when they first launched it...its a fantastic bike, i'd have one tomorrow

4. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Yes think I've already mentioned on another thread about BMW, they are making some interesting new and exciting bikes, took the new GS out and was blown away by how well it went and handled. They are also in an other league price wise though and not sure I want all the electronics although Triumph appear to believe we all want Traction control and modes :rolleyes:

5. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    #5 SteveJ, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    I think the general consensus here is that Triumph need to lift their game somewhat or end up being left behind by other manufacturers, there really needs to be several new models next year as I have stated earlier.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BSATREV

BSATREV Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Birkenhead
    I was really tempted by the MT 07 after reading the Bike Magazine 'King of the Hill' review. Went to my local dealer but was not inclined to put my hand in my pocket for a bike that was uglier than a junk yard dog. Possibly all those years of owning Italian machines has altered my perception, but funky and modern design does not need to look like an accident in a scrap yard.

7. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    They are pricey(especially when you start adding extras) but do hold their value.

Traction control and modes are just the way manufactures are going now,though a good engine(1050 triple) won't need them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    Triumph have not got the design of new bikes right since the Tiger 1050.

My TEX is called Optimus because it looks like something out of a Transformers movie as does the Street/Speed tripples. I like the TEX but it is 20kg to heavy and the new Trophy is just plain heavy, way to heavy.

The ST was almost a great bike so what did they do, strech it add more weight and called it the GT, very inspirational.

Tarted up Tigers and special edition classics and cruisers are not going to gain the business.

But if you think Triumph are bad just go for a ride on a Honda Crosstourer or Crossrunner and you will soon find out what a bad bike feels like, nice engines but the rest is dire

• Like Like x 2
  9. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    I'm a Triumph man through and through. I don't even look at other manufacturers.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    I think that the new Speed Triple is a great looking bike and seriously if you want to talk about ugly then please let me present Exhibit A: :eek:

index.jpg

I mean really!! WTF were they thinking???

index.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    I've looked at this image and just cannot see how the DESIGNER could be proud of producing such a but ugly bike.......been trying to think of the phrase that is more applicable about the DESIGNER and all I can come up with is.................should have gone to Specsavers

• Like Like x 2
  12. glassbacken

glassbacken Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2014
    I'm a fan of the T100 but for such a small bike it's far to heavy

13. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Finally got to ride the stupidly named 'Tracer' today. The bike had only arrived at the dealers yesterday and was not even registered just on trade plates so with just 12 miles on the clock I set about tripling it's mileage.

The snow had just about cleared when I set off from the dealer but the roads were far from ideal and for the first time I was quite glad I had ABS brakes and traction control.

Being a Tiger 800 XC rider I wanted to find out what an extra 50 Yamaha CC's felt like compared to the Tiger. Well both are Triples with that distinctive noise but even in standard mode the Yamaha felt more powerful, more immediate, faster and freer revving, probably more like the Street Triple in its rev limit but with the torque of the Tiger low down. With 115 BHP compared to the Tiger's slightly weedy 94BHP the Yam felt very lively like it wanted to lift the front wheel.

I was surprised both bikes wet weight is 210 -215 Kgs as I was sure the MT 09 was much lighter, it's probably because it carries it's weight much lower and has a very neat under slung exhaust compared to the high side mounted rocket launcher on the Triumph. Handling wise the Tracey felt very flickable; almost super-moto like with it's very wide bars and upright seating making steering easy. I thought I would have buffeting problems with the small screen but no, with the seat and screen both in their highest positions it was certainly no worse than the Tiger. I did think the seat felt firm, not sure if that firm would turn into uncomfortable on longer journeys but I do suspect a conspiracy among all manufactures to sell you a bike then sell you a 'comfort' seat from their accessories catalog.

The LCD dash on the Yam is very neat easy to use, lots of info available and it's easy to flick between modes while still riding. I found the standard riding mode most comfortable and I certainly didn't experience any snatchy fueling that some early MT 09 owners reported. The A mode sharpens everything up with a faster throttle response and there is a rain mode which cuts the powers and softens everything.... not sure if many folks would use the rain mode. Didn't think I would feel the traction control but twice while being quite stupid on the throttle in first in the wet I felt it cut in and the engine splutter; its quite disconcerting the first time it happens, there you are expecting to see the front wheel just start to lift when cough splutter the bike tells you that your being an arse and the road is slippery.

There are some nice touches that you would not expect on what is a budget machine at £8200.00, apart from the top class dash and electronics there are full LED headlights and tail lights and the fit and finish look quality.

There are one or two small niggles; the mirrors are awful being small and only seeing most of your forearm reflected back. The screen adjustment is a bit of a fiddle and can only be done stationary. Looks can be very subjective but for me she doesn't look as nice as the Tiger, the yam is very angular, it's hand-guards look plain weird and it looks like the designer lost the will to do any more behind the passenger seat.

Would I have one and Trade in my Tiger??? Possibly as Yamaha have already offered me a good P/X on the Tiger and to change it would be very reasonable considering I already have 8000 miles on it.

Here is a little vid of me on the test; its not very exciting as the roads were awful and I certainly was not used to the bike.

14. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Nice review,thanks for that.
    It looks like it would be a better road bike than the Tiger,perhaps a Tiger Sport might be a better comparison? But that's a lot heavier.

15. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    I've tested the Tiger Sport and this is more fun to ride, more flickable, lighter and eager. Perhaps for lots of two work and certainly two up touring then perhaps the Tiger 1050 Sport would be better, shame its a bit of an ugly pup though (sorry Tiger 1050 owners)

16. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Come on Richard if the Tiger Sport is ugly then the Tracer not only was hit by the ugly stick, the whole ugly tree landed on it :tongue:

• Like Like x 2