Any Long Distant Cyclists Here

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Modalconfusion, Aug 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Modalconfusion

Modalconfusion Active Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Stafford
    Nuts or not ?, the last longest ride I entered was The London to Brighton in 1992, now here I am at 65 and have just applied to enter the Prudential Ride London in 2018. Am I mad or insane ? and at a time when I am struggling for spare/more time to get out on my triple. Advice and tips welcomed.

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yup, you can cycle the route at any time of the year, so do it to suit you!

3. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Use your motorbike..:joy:

4. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    You'll need a long flexo_O

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Depends what you call long distance. These days it's from the lodge to the pub at center parcs :pbut I have done the coast to coast from Whitehaven to Sunderland in 1996 to raise money for the hospital unit that saved my life after I jumped off the bike at high speed :mask:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tal

Tal Active Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Milton Keynes
    If it aint got an engine i don't wanna know hehe
    [​IMG]
    couldn't find a bike

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jezzasnr

jezzasnr Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Cornwall
    Not so much since i've been in Cornwall, but used to ride a fair bit. occasional trips out on the mountain bike now.
    I rode with a local group of roadies, sunday morning was usually out for 60-80 miles. I had a season racing cyclo cross which was an eye opener to say the least! I've done a few of sportives as well, up to about 120miles.
    try to build your miles up gradually and don't try to ride too fast. find a group that you are comfortable riding with & you'll be fine. other than box hill it's reasonably flat.

8. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Family sized tub of vaseline

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

AS mentioned above,build up slowly. Get your training miles in, you'll be surprised how many miles you can grab if you get up early and bob out for a quick hour. Don't worry too much about long training miles, but build up cumulatively during the week, then as your target date approaches, get two our three longer ones in too. On your last week, taper off the intensity, maybe get one or two smaller rides at start of week... then rest, allow your body to fully recharge. Don't go out on the piss on the last couple off nights either.

I've ridden a few charity rides, 50 to 80 milers, and every time I've totally failed to train like that, but I still got through them! Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Modalconfusion

Modalconfusion Active Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Stafford
    Trying to do miles a week ATM but struggling to do over 35 at any one time, hopefully it will come right

11. laurie hughes

laurie hughes New Member

Mar 10, 2015
    south wales
    I ride most weeks try and cycle around 100 miles a week, luckily I live in Wales and some great places to ride the roadie or mt bike, I read once before that it takes around 4 years to get your cycle legs, well I have been cycling 15 years and still not found mine

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Thruxton R rider

Thruxton R rider New Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Kent
    It's all about miles in the legs. No matter how short a ride the cumulative effect really helps. Time in the saddle is important to build "comfort endurance". Constant snacking helps on long rides...i like jelly babies or chocolate raisins. Small handful every 20 mins or so after the first hour.
    Hills are your friends
    60 miles or more for a long ride
    40-60 miles for a hills session. If you can get out 3 times a week (2xhills 1xlong) you will smash the ride London.

13. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    I enjoy cycling, but never done big miles (50 max), so can't help with advice. Besides, all the good advice is above.

Good luck with the ride, it seems like you should have time to build up to it. Enjoy...