Any Comparison? Advice, Thoughts

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Tony Sirett, Apr 1, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tony Sirett

Tony Sirett Member

May 13, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    just after some thoughts please, i'm riding a 16 plate America at the moment (due to replace on pcp soon) and before that i had a 1200 sportster, i am tired of the America running out of speed so looking to get a replacement Triumph, the Rocket is just way too big for a short aris like me so looking at a Thunderbird, has any one ridden an America that can give me some sort of comparison? i mean obviously its going to have more power but does it ride like the America? how does it handle? my Sportster felt like i was going to kill me every time i touched the brakes, so how does it brake.

thanks Tony

2. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    A 1200 sportster is hardly a pocket rocket.
    The TBird only does 115/120, has loads of torque.
    OEM tyres are commonly critiqued and many change them for Avon Cobras.
    OEM were prone to tracking overbanding etc and mediocre performance in the wet ( which as a rider of of a TBird I would agree with)
    I would say the Thunderbird promotes a more relaxed style of riding than a sporty ride.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    In the past 5 years, I owned a 2012 America, then went to a 2013 Tropy SE 1215, and then to a 2014 Thunderbird Commander. Here is my take on all three of them. First, I'm 66, 6' tall, have a 29" inseam and weigh 290 pounds. I hadn't ridden in a few years, because I trashed my bike riding cafe. I bought the America, because I liked its look and I got a good price. Also, I've always liked Triumphs, but I've owned other brands over the years. I was going back and forth at the dealer between the America and the Speedmaster. The mechanics told me to take the America because it drove much better. I really liked the America except for two things. It just didn't have enough torque for those odd situations you sometimes find yourself in when riding, and it was very uncomfortable for me. The seat was painful after the first 45 minutes. I bought the gel seat and it didn't help any. I added one of the air cushions and I could tolerate (not enjoy) a 4-5 hour ride.

I decided to take the plunge and traded-in the America on the Trophy SE. I loved the power, handling, and fairing, but the electronics weren't great and the seat was also painful on a longer ride. It was better than the America, but not great. The Trophy was too tall for me and the center of gravity was high. When you get old, you lose some strength, and in my case, my legs are just crap. I dropped the bike at a stoplight (trick knee gave out) and couldn't pick it up myself. I knew then that I had to do something different.

I don't like trikes or CanAms, so I decided on a bike with a sidecar. I test drove a couple of hacks including the Ural and non of them impressed me. I talked to a bunch of people and decided on the T-Bird Commander for the tug and the Inder Beemer for the sidecar. I wanted something heavy with plenty of power. I literally made deals for both on the same day which was a mistake. I traded in my Trophy, and got the new Commander with some money back. I drove it for about 2 months before the car was mated to it. If I hadn't already made the deal (and paid) for the car, I would have just driven the T-Bird and been very happy with it for the rest of my life. To me, it drives like a heavy version of the America with a lot more guts and it's very well behaved on the road. I love the thump of its motor, but it is a very quiet bike which I like. Two really big differences are that the seating position and particularly the seat are extremely comfortable. The seat height is also very low, and the center of gravity is low, so it is easy to move around and to drive slow. Except for some maintenance issues, I love the bike and I always have a grin on my face when I'm driving it. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate my experience with the America at about a 6 and the T-Bird at 9.5.

In ~'72 and '73, I owned a 1967 Harley FLH which was a police auction bike from one of the counties near Washington DC. It was full dressed and had a foot clutch with a hand shifter. It also had a very large police solo seat which was a dream to ride on. No one could get me off that bike and I rarely drove a car when I had it. I owned it for ~19 months and put nearly 30,000 miles on it. It was the most comfortable thing I've ever ridden and the perfect long distance bike, but the T-Bird is a close second.

Sorry to be so long-winded.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Tony Sirett

Tony Sirett Member

May 13, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    thank you, looks like the Comander is what im going to be going for.

5. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    I forgot to respond to one of your questions. The brakes are powerful and the ABS works well. Mine aren't 'twitchy' at all. I have a sidecar on my bike and had to do a panic stop one time from 65 mph to avoid a car that darted in front of me. That puts about 400 lbs (car and wife) two feet to my right side. I couldn't believe how fast we stopped. I almost highsided when the rear wheel came up, but managed to lean back and drop the wheel.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Graham.db

Graham.db Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Wiltshire
    I can only respond to the america, not so with the trop, america, i just could not get along with, small i think, found to be lacking on power two up, seat, did it have one. TB LT yes got one of them, ticks all the boxes, i will stick my neck out and say she is one of the better bikes i have owned, there has been a few i can say, sad to say i do not ride my bike enough to warrant in keeping her, but when i do go out, she puts that smile on the face, brakes good, changed mine for sintered pads, seat no worries, pulled my bars back for a more relaxed ride, never in a hurry so it suited me, two up, we have the posh seats they do a very good job, balance all the weight is low down, unless you are pushing her about you will never notice that, you can strip them down for town, fully loaded for the days out, very different bike for what ever day you want, must use mine more.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi I currently have a Thunderbird LT and whilst it is bigger than the America it rides brilliantly. Obviously does not turn as quickly as the smaller more nimble bikes on the market, but it can be great fun in the twisties and is just an absolute delight of those long haul runs.
    Wessa

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Hi Tony,
    I went from an America because it felt small (On me lol) to a 1600 Tbird the first difference was power much more of it and weight of the bike, braking was better I felt as few times only just touched rear brake on the America and it locked up so yes brakes were different, Got Avon tyres fitted now and handles really good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    I am a newbie to Triumph and trying to decide between a Thunderbird and the Rocket. I am only 5 feet 9 ins and find the Rocket a bit bigger for me but the sound is so beautiful and the power in it is fantastic.
    How is the Thunderbird? I do not do touring but just cruising around.
    Any advice would be most welcome.

10. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    #10 capt, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Hi Tony,
    I have 09 America, had it from new, put almost 110,000 klms on the clock, I agree they are underwelming in std trim , I bought a big bore kit 905 cc with high compression pistons. While it was apart I ported and polished the inlet and exhaust ports , put it back together and then turned on a Dyno ! I had to put stiffer clutch springs in , std ones good for about 65 HP , they started to slip under hard acceleration, bike now produces 70 odd hp, I put high riser bars on gel seat with sheepskin cover , it's much more comfortable now than std, biggest and best change for comfort , engine upgrade makes bike much easier to ride/cruise on !! ImI 5'10" tall 90/95 kg and 29/30" inch inside leg.

Cheers capt.
    Dyno engine results attached, reading about 20%low

View attachment IMG_20180222_102324.jpg

• Like Like x 1