Any and all opinions welcome...advice / info needed

Discussion in 'Daytona' started by coconut, Feb 1, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. coconut

coconut New Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Hi all, hopefully someone here may be able to shed some light on an unfortunate situation. I own a 2002 Daytona 955i CE and yesterday I went to start the bike and i heard a muffled click then just the starter motor spinning. I took the panels off and opened the starter clutch cover to inspect it. Could not believe my eyes....the splined end of the crank shaft that holds the starter clutch has sheared off flush with the casing where it passes through the oil seal. Has anyone had this happening to their bike or someone they know? I've seen worn cranks from where bearings have collapsed but never seen a snapped one. A few guys on another forum have had this happen to their Sprints + Tigers, all 2002 models, and they believe its a manufacturing fault causing micro-fractures. If this is the case then could I claim repairs from Triumph UK? I have read somewhere that the 2002 CE crank and rods were made of better materials than before, should a crank shaft shearer under normal conditions and if so, is 42,543 miles on the clock reasonable for wear and tear? IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi Coconut, that looks bad! I think if you get Triumph to do the work for free they have to have admitted it is a manufacturing fault. If that were the case it would mean recalling thousands of bikes, goodwill versus expense, Hmmm!! in a world run by accountants I know where my money lies ( scuse me) Though they could surprise us. Best is have a friendly chat with your local Triumph garage, Ive not had mine long but from what I've seen of these blokes they are very approachable.

3. STIFFLER

STIFFLER Senior Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Shropshire
    I agree with Crispey.

You may stand half a chance IF you owned it from new & has Dealer history for every time THEY put air in the tyres let alone service history for it! Even then at 12 years & 42k it would be a good will gesture & a half by Triumph!

Hope your lucky though!

• Like Like x 1
  4. coconut

coconut New Member

Feb 1, 2015
    I have spoken to Triumph UK and because of the circumstances and my concerns regarding a possible manufacturing fault they have generously offered to provide a new crank shaft if I pay for fitting/other parts at a Triumph dealership. Thats what I like about Triumph, they make a good machine and look after the customers when they can. Labour charges + other parts (gaskets, bearings,washers, oil and coolant) are gonna cost a fair bit but at least its saved me £1,053 for the crank shaft. :)

• Like Like x 4
  5. STIFFLER

STIFFLER Senior Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Shropshire
    Coconut im pleased for you...& totally gob smacked Triumph are chipping in with this after 42K!!!!

In the early Hinckley days i did hear of a guy with a 885 steamer Tiger which had terminal engine trouble. If i remember correctly he got a loan bike while the factory took his bike to inspect it. They fitted a new engine free of charge!!!!

Still gonna be a nasty bill but every bit helps eh.

6. coconut

coconut New Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Nasty indeed. local Triumph dealer ESTIMATED £2880 or above. 3 days labour = £1580, extra parts £1225 then fluids on top of that (£60 ish). I sourced the parts myself through triumph uk parts dept and for gaskets, bearings, 3 con rod assemblies, gudgeon pins and circlips.....£490. Gonna buy a second hand engine instead. Any idea of what will fit if I can't find a Daytona 955i 2002 engine?