Anti Fogging Visor Treatments???

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Thruccyboy, Mar 5, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    So... I have a shoei gt air yet despite there being a pinlock fitted the visor still fogs up in the bottom right hand side. I've removed it now & have tried the following anti fog treatments to try & prevent it... All with various results
    Fogtech (good but not long lasting)
    Muck off premium (smear champions)
    Sea drops (best so far)
    So.... What's everyone using out there... What's good, what's bad????
    Answers on a fogged up visor please.

2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I use Rain-X Anti Fog
    Amazon £5-00
    [​IMG]

When put on correct it lasts a good while - a few hours riding

Although I never have a problem with the pin-lock system so long as there is a seal all the way round

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Someone will be along shortly recommending potatoes/vinegar and Fairy Liquid :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I use potatoes/vinegar and Fairy Liquid :p

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  5. trudd

trudd Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Likewise, I've never had a problem with a pin-lock when adjusted properly to ensure a good seal.

Be careful with the Rain-X. I've heard stories of them reacting with the plastic visor and turning them brittle as it's designed for glass. I did use their rain repellent but have now switched to Nikwax Visor proof(http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=248)

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    I remember a pink wax stick used the exact same way - I used to use it on my skin goggles and it lasted all day. Great stuff but can no longer find it. For my bike solved the problem by moving to southern Arizona.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    I think it's a crap visor design by shoei myself as usually the visors have tiny movable pins to ensure a tight seal... These crap ones don't .. I did send an email to shoei but they didn't bother replying... Same way as I won't bother buying another shoei again... I like the helmet, just hate being fogged up... Rant over

8. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    The waters a bit murky.... Or am I missing a couple of things here???

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Firstly, I personally would not use RainX. It will corrode the protective film on your visor. I have personal experience with that. Pinlock- the pins that you slip on the pinlock inner shield are eccentric meaning they are oblong. Try turning them around before attaching pinlock shield so that the silicone bead of the pinlock shield makes a tight seal.

10. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Firstly, I personally would not use RainX. It will corrode the protective film on your visor. I have personal experience with that. Pinlock- the pins that you slip on the pinlock inner shield are eccentric meaning they are oblong. Try turning them around before attaching pinlock shield so that the silicone bead of the pinlock shield makes a tight seal.
    Wow!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Madmatt

Madmatt Member

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    Always use Pinlock on my visors and never had a problem with misting. It’s my specs i have a problem with.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    What water??? Looks like the sun I encounter here!

RainX make some products specifically for plastic that are fine on the visor/windscreen, but unless it's specifically for plastic I'd stay away. My windscreen manufacturer specifically warns against using RainX.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    I don't ride in the cold/rain. Have not had a fogging problem for years.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Never had a problem with any of the pinlock systems that I’ve used over the years

15. mixifix

mixifix Active Member

May 7, 2013
    mansfield
    Fairy liquid or some other brand of washing up liquid a little smear on end of finger works a treat same for glasses. That bikini needs adjustment

Michelle Keegan - Bikini Candids on St Vincent Beach-06-560x671.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Never had a problem with with pin lock in my Arai, but I also do on my shoei gt Air. The 'air' bit is a bit of a lie, because you cannot open the visor to let sir in, it had to be half opened then your blasted with air. Poor design imho. Still trying to come up with a solution.

Think it's more a problem with design than with pin lock.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    For my specs I use Optifog cloths, it takes a couple of treatments but give the glasses a wipe before a ride and they stay very clear
    OptiFog £5.99 a cloth but lasts a good few months
    Sold from RX Sport

• Like Like x 1
  18. oi-nobbie

oi-nobbie New Member

Jan 21, 2017
    north london

19. oi-nobbie

oi-nobbie New Member

Jan 21, 2017
    north london
    ditto...not a problem with pinlock on other helmets ..even other shoei ... really disappointed gt air ...solution ..sold the helmet and bought a bell ster instead!

• Like Like x 2
  20. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Very comfortable and quiet, but ventilation is poor, and drop down visor is useless when cold, just steams up too.
    When warm and dry, too hot unless open visor, then gap too wide!!!!
    Really liked it to start with, then faults are niggling me.

• Like Like x 1