Another Oil Question

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by RokitJon, Jan 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    #1 RokitJon, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Was just reading about availability of Mobil 10W-40 in another thread and it brought to mind a question I have about my bike. I don't know what oil is in it as I just bought the bike and didn't ask.

What I am experiencing and the point of my post is this: Standing still the temperature gauge goes up to about 3mm from the redline before the fan comes on. When the engine gets this hot the engine clatters more than normal.

Is this normal? I am in warmer climes so would 15W-50 alleviate this situation? OR is the fan kicking on too late and in need of investigation?

I have a 1997 Speed Triple T509 with 8600 miles on the clock

Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #2 Sprinter, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Dont worry to much about clatter , (new owner nerves,)unless its horrendous ,it could be cam chain, unless you can film it and put on youtube ,then link to here, so we can hear it ,theres only guessing available. You dont want that ,it will just make you nervous., if your worried get an mechanics opinion to be safe
    Buy a filter and change all the oil then you know your start point and can go from there.

• Like Like x 1