Another Oil Level Oil Grade Question.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Hubaxe, Jun 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Hi,
    2 questions in 1 :)
    First question: Level check.
    On the 1050 Sprint ST, the user manual says to run the motor 5 minutes, stop, wait 3 minutes, then read the oil level..... Why?? Could they just make it simpler, and set an oil level indicator for a cold engine?
    I don't understand the advantage at reading the oil level like that.

Second question, My clutch tend to become sticky only when the engine runs hot (eg after a city center ride).
    I currently have a standard (cheap) semi synthetic 10W40. I wonder if I should upgrade to a better 10W40 semi synth oil/10W40 synthetic oil/higher grade oil/ mixture of holy water and snake oil?

The user manual says 10W40 or 15W50. Maybe a 10W50 can fix the sporadic clutch issue?

Any thoughts

2. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Oil level bit sounds a bit daft to me as the engine is not going to retain a lot of oil in the galleries i suspect that the run bit is for checking oil when doing an oil change to make sure the filter is filled before checking the level.
    As for a sticky clutch the oil itself is unlikely to make a big difference upping the viscosity would IMO compound the problem if caused by the oil i would look at the clutch adjustment first but how many miles are on the motor and is it used regularly in a city environment as this will increase clutch wear and the stickiness when hot could be a symptom of over heated friction plates and slight warpage.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Thanks for the light.
    Tha adjustment is fine, and the problem only happens if the bike is hot and in city environment. As soon as the bike runs, everything cool down and it's fine.

I don't know how the bike was used before. The last owner lived also in mountains, so the clutch may has suffered. She is 55000 km (34000 miles)
    A set of EBC clutch plates + springs is only 130 euros, so if I'm sure that will fix the issue I'll go for it. I never changed a clutch, could be fun :)

4. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    No worries hope you get it all sorted to your satisfaction.:)

5. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    The oil you’ve used isn’t car oil is it?
    I think I read somewhere that there’s different friction modifier additives between car and bike oils to allow for wet clutches.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    No it's a Mortorcycle oil sold by a bike store under it's own brand.
    Behind its IGOL.

7. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    Today I checked the oil level cold and by the book (warm engine, wait 3 minutes, check )
    There is a small gap of 5 millimeters between the 2 readings.
    In other words cold engine oil level check should be a bit over the level indicator