Another Newbe

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Gissyt, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Gissyt

Gissyt New Member

Oct 29, 2023
    Bristol
    Hi
    New here and new to Triumph.
    Six months ago I got an urge to get back on a bike after a few years break. So, I went shopping and bought me a ZZR1400. I wanted something to do some distance on and have a bit of history drag racing so it seemed like a good call. Just a few weeks later another one turned up with accident damage that was cheap so I bought that too. I did some trips and the engine is just awesome when you give it some gas.
    Then, a friend bought a house in Spain and I flew out to take a look. It is in the mountains and I too a 10 mile walk and thought the mountain roads looked brilliant. After some thoughts it seems the ZZR would not be the ideal bike for these roads. Once back in the UK I did some searching and decided I needed a Speed Triple. A 2016 1050 R turned up at a bargain price but with 45,000 miles on the clocks. It had been maintained but the current owner had only done a thousand miles in the last two years and it was very dusty and needed some tlc. A good clean, new chain and sprockets and front pads and I was ready to go. A set of Arrow cans got added. The milage didn't worry me as I do all my own maintenance and could easily refurb it over winter. Some soft panniers a roll bag and a tank bag later and I was ready to travel.
    So, off I went to the ferry port and did my first ever European trip on a bike. After a 500 mile trip on day one I was in Valebcia. I had a few aches that a better seat might cure but it was not bad at all.
    All in all, it was an awesome trip and the bike behaved brilliantly right up until this weekend when the radiator sprung a leak.
    I am about to go over it now the winter is coming. It needs a few little bits to tidy it up. The paint is not perfect, the gold titanium on the forks is showing some wear, some polishing is needed.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Gissyt :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    Hi and welcome to the forum :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Hi @Gissyt and welcome. Can't go wrong with a Speedy :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.
    Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Greetings from Lincolnshire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 First Class Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    Eyup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome…,

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    Hi there! Welcome to the forum! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gissyt

Gissyt New Member

Oct 29, 2023
    Bristol
    Many thanks for your replies. I am going to spend winter doing some refurb work as after 45,000 miles it is not mint anymore and I intend to take it to spain again next year. I might do some YouTube videos of some of the work as I hope it might be useful to others. Never tried it before so I might get bored with the hassle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Gissyt
    Welcome to the family. Great project there. Do drop a picture before and as you restore. it the upload a file and let the inmates ogle
    Joe