Amnesia

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Sventhrusta, Apr 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sventhrusta

Sventhrusta Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Kidsgrovia Staffordshire
    I've got a 65 plate Speed 94. Does anybody out there have a Speed Triple that suffers from "memory loss"-by this I mean that it forgets that it's got a full tank of fuel between rides and forgets it's miles to empty and forgets to start sometimes-it's an issue mines had from new and the dealer replaced the ignition and immobiliser under warranty saying that the two components weren't talking to each other.It's started happening again more frequently even after a good ride you come to turn the ignition on and the sweep and pre-start checks take what seems like forever-you pull in the clutch and press the start and nothing happens.As the battery is the same age of the bike I replaced that as I know these bikes don't like a low battery-but it's still happening.The bike shows no faults on both the Triumph dealer scan and my own dealer tool-It's starting to erode my confidence in my bike.The charging system is working fine showing good figures I'm at a bit of a loss.Once it's started it remembers eventually that it's got fuel etc after a few miles.

2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I think you bought the wrong colour ;)
    I have a black 94R on 65 plate from new and so far (touch wood) been faultless.
    Seeing the fault originally started within warranty I would get back to your dealer (and perhaps Triumph HQ) and ask for it to be sorted. Whatever they've done so far obviously wasn't a proper solution.

3. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    I'm just thinking out loud, so forgive me if this sounds inane. When I first looked at your post, I thought If it were my problem, I would first check the side stand switch or kill switch for problems. After that, I would be looking for a short in the wiring going to the instrument panel. A quick Google search shows that a lot of people (various forums) have similar problems with alarms that are tied to the immobilizer. Does this thread apply to your situation? https://www.thetriumphforum.com/thr...obiliser-light-stays-on-bike-wont-start.8895/

I also searched my T-Bird owner's manual and thought the following was interesting, but I don't know if the same warning applies to your bike. I assume this only applies if you hit the kill switch and leave the key on. Even though you put in a new battery, have you checked the voltage when the problem happens?

"Although the engine stop switch stops the engine, it does not turn off all the electrical circuits and may cause difficulty in restarting the engine due to a discharged battery. Ordinarily, only the ignition switch should be used to stop the engine."

I'd love to be back in the '60's riding a bike with a magneto and no fancy electronics:) I hate all of the electronics that they put on bikes these days.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sventhrusta

Sventhrusta Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Kidsgrovia Staffordshire
    Thanks for the input but all of above have been checked and are fine I don't have the Data tool alarm(thank god-more trouble than they're worth-my daughter had one on her Street triple R and it was a pain in the ass) and I only ever use the ignition switch to turn it off.Re old bikes,they have there own problems but I get your meaning-if I don't leave any of our modern Triumphs on the battery conditioner after a week they struggle/don't start whereas my 38 year old Guzzi never fails to turn over even after weeks on non-use !
    ;

5. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Good luck finding your gremlins.

6. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Red
    Green
    Blue
    Red

So you feel lucky?

[​IMG]

7. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    In all honesty it does sound like a shorting wire somewhere, the earth may have a poor connection making the display reset
    It doesn't sound like a battery issue,

The symptoms are similar to the battery being disconnected. At a basic level, check the battery connections are clean and dry with the main connections at the bottom next to the terminal, with auxiliary connections (heated handlebars etc on top)
    Using a multimeter, you could check for continuity between different points on the bike....at the ignition barrel, fuel sensor, etc

8. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Reading your post a third time, you do specify the issue is mostly with fuel indicators being lost, fuel remaining in the tank, miles to empty etc.
    Could it be just a faulty fuel sensor (or wire connection to the sensor) which is indicating it being empty (even when not) it cuts the ignition to avoid fuel starvation :confused: ?
    upload_2018-4-12_17-15-15.png
    upload_2018-4-12_17-15-34.png

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sventhrusta

Sventhrusta Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Kidsgrovia Staffordshire
    Gonna lift the tank tomorrow and check the fuel sensor and the wiring relay and fuse despite dealer saying this couldn't be the problem it seems to be a common problem looking around other forums

• Like Like x 2
  10. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    maybe mean nowt i had fuel used mileage to go and trip memory faults on my r1,ended up one pin on multiplug on harness had small amount of corrosion some contact cleaner and electric grease fixed it.

• Like Like x 1