America Idiot Light Upgrade

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Bobbob, Apr 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bobbob

Bobbob Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    I’ve read different opinions regarding replacing the original dull idiot lights with LED ones. Can I just swap the bulbs with LED’s? Or do I need specific LED’s, or wire in a couple of diodes? I’m not intending to change the orange indicators themselves, just the idiot/warning lights.

2. Ian TH

Ian TH New Member

May 10, 2018
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    #2 Ian TH, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    I struggled with mine too but I found some cheap LED bulbs from China that just plug straight in (Ebay or Aliexpress have them for about a pound each). The ones I got were called 'bulb LED T10 W5W no polar'. Apparently the 'no polar' means they are not sensitive for polarity and this is important for the indicator which reverses polarity between right and left indications. The ones you need have all the LEDs facing upwards and mine look like they are set in red metal. I got different colours to suit the different lights but white ones should be OK instead.
    Just had a look, £3.87 for ten bulbs on Ebay, search for 'white LED Z2787'

• Like Like x 2
  3. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #3 Wire-Wheels, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
    There are some upgrade kits availabe on the internet. I did my America 5-6 years ago. I can now see my idiot lights, even in the daytime in our desert sun. BIG improvement. I think I got mine from newbonneville.com ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bobbob

Bobbob Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Bobbob

Bobbob Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    LED bulbs are usually ‘polar’ meaning they will only work ‘one way’. If you plug in an LED bulb (diode) the wrong way round it will not illuminate, turn it around & it will.
    Due to the indicator warning light needing to be illuminated for both left & right, a standard LED will only work when either left or right (depending on which way around the bulb is installed) indicator is selected, and not for both. No (non) polar LED’s work in both ‘directions’.
    Are you now ‘enlightened’?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bobbob

Bobbob Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    They will work for other warning lights but not the indicator warning light if both left & right indicators use the same warning light. You seem to have a massive attitude issue about this.

• WTF WTF x 1
  7. Bobbob

Bobbob Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    Don’t like it when you’re wrong LOL

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  8. Bobbob

Bobbob Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    Ah, did I upset you because I disagreed with your post? Diddums
    Re-read your post (below)

Go on then Bob.
    Please enlighten me as to what you think "No polar" means?
    Remember we are talking about an LED here. Not a regular bulb.

9. Bobbob

Bobbob Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    Is that the best you’ve got?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  10. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Well I’m sorry Bob, but I think you’re a bit off in your explanation there too.
    The reason you can’t use LEDs for the indicator warning light is nothing to do with their polarity, it’s to do with the resistance shown to the flasher relay circuit which isn’t high enough for the relay to operate correctly. A filament lamp gives enough resistance for this to happen.
    The current flow through the warning light is in the same direction whether it’s a left or right indication. The LED will still only work one way round so if you put it in with the wrong polarity it won’t work for either direction.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bobbob

Bobbob Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    I tried a non-polar led in the indicator warning light, it only worked on one side of the indicators, if i turned the led around it worked on the other side indicators.
    So the ones dozers dad recommended wouldn’t work either?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ian TH

Ian TH New Member

May 10, 2018
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Sorry to be the first one in this thread to mention the polarity issue, I thought it would help. The LED bulbs I mentioned do work for all lights including the indicator. The challenge with the indicator light is the polarity (as it is reversed between right and left signals) and not the resistance of the bulb (apart from the fact it is a diode so the current can only flow one way through it).

• Like Like x 1
  13. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Why do you keep saying ‘polar’ and ‘non-polar’? LEDs are all the same, they are a Light Emitting Diode and as such allow current flow and hence light output in one direction (or polarity) only. This is how a diode works.
    The only type that is different is a Zener diode which will allow reverse polarity current flow above a predetermined voltage.
    I can’t explain why your LED worked as you say without seeing the circuit diagram and flasher circuitry. Maybe there’s a resistance difference in the circuit depending on which polarity the LED is in. Can’t be certain without seeing it I’m afraid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Ian TH

Ian TH New Member

May 10, 2018
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    The non polar bulbs have circuitry built in that makes sure the LED always receives a current the correct way to illuminate it. This means it will illuminate when plugged in either way in a normal socket (eg as a normal light) in which a simple LED will only work one way round. That's why we keep saying non polar, as thats what these bulbs are.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ian TH

Ian TH New Member

May 10, 2018
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I think I'll get mine too before the Polar bears return............

16. Bobbob

Bobbob Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    No need to apologise, the original question I asked was nearly 3 weeks ago, since then I’ve researched the matter, something you would do well to do yourself before making an idiot of yourself

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Ah, I see. There’s additional circuitry involved. Can’t say I’ve ever seen them referred to as polar and non polar. They must also have an additional resistor to emulate the load of a filament lamp then I guess.

18. Bobbob

Bobbob Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    So, you & dozers dad have both learned something, despite your previous posts?

19. Bobbob

Bobbob Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    Ignorant tosser

20. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#20 MrOrange, May 9, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2019
    You weren't be playing nice, so I took the ball home. :confounded:

• Funny Funny x 4