America Clutch Slip

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Johnny Chimpo, May 15, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Derby
    Morning folks. Advice time again please.

I have a slipping clutch on my 08 America carb.

33k miles.

10/40 putoline semi oil in.

Slips mid range on throttle, overtaking for example.

Cable is adjusted right so I think friction plates. Is that oil alright, and do I need anything special to do the plates? Gasket for example?

Cheers.

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Firstly it IS Putoline bike oil? Secondly ‘correct adjustment’ means minimal slack at the lever so you know the clutch is fully ‘out’ on its springs at maximal grip. It can be worth disconnecting everything to check the cable is not frayed and binding and that the actuator on the side cover is moving freely too (albeit under stiff spring load).
    Given the right oil and adjustment you are left with worn/warped/glazed plates and tired springs or even oil contamination from an inappropriate and previous fill of car oil with friction modifiers.
    Plenty of YouTube how to vids.
    Any of the bits you may need can be found here:
    http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/workshop--service-323-c.asp

I get no commission!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Derby
    The oil was put in by a main Yamaha dealer when I bought it three weeks ago so I can only assume they used bike oil.

There is minimal slack in the cable, a couple of mm give or take. It’s not cable adjustment.

I’ve read about semi synthetic oil giving clutch slip, but I’m also concerned that they over filled the bike. It’s higher than I would fill it.

I think I’ll start with easiest and cheapest first.

Get the oil level lower, possibly change to fully synthetic then put new plates and springs in

I’ll probably do all of that at once.

4. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Bought three weeks ago does put another spin on things take it back to them any bike even second hand should give longer service than that, even used bikes have some guarantee of 1/3 months.
    Have a go take it back, give them a call, dont waste no more time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Derby
    I bought it used, so the clutch isn’t under the warranty. They’ve been helpful but it’s not something they are obliged to rectify.

6. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    are you sure the clutch is not covered don't take there word for it get independent advice. if you have only done limited mileage in three weeks I would not be very happy.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    As above. This is not about WARRANTY but about ‘MERCHANTABLE QUALITY’. Second hand or not, a trader cannot sell you something plainly unfit for purpose within a few hours of use.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    AS ABOVE " NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE "
    Chuck it back at them

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    The oil must meet specification JASO MA/MA2 designed specifically for wet clutch operation. (i.e.: motorcycle specific oil). If a bike shop put in the oil I can only assume it was a proper oil for motorcycle wet clutch operation. And if a motorcycle specific oil is used it does not make any difference if it is non-synthetic, semi-synthetic or full synthetic. The clutch should not slip due to the oil. Must be something else. I have used full synthetic motorcycle oil on every bike I have owned for 30 years and never had a clutch slip. Not once!

At 33k miles it is probably just a worn clutch. Clutches can be worn out at lower miles or higher miles depending on how aggressive the rider has been.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I did a little checking. Putoline Semi is indeed a motorcycle specific oil and meets JASO MA specs and is wet clutch compatable. Therefore it will not be the cause of clutch slippage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi Johnny !

You don't say if you have any idea if it's standard motor wise ? If it's been tuned and making more horse power than std , it could be this that's caused the clutch to slip, std clutch is designed for about 60 or so HP, my 09 EFI America was dyno tuned early on to produce 57 HP and the clutch started slipping at 90,000 if I got on the gas really hard in 2nd 3rd and sometimes 4th. Cure is simple and really cheap ! Put new clutch springs in, get some heavier duty ones. You can do it for about $140 or £80 in your money !! Four new springs and a gasket ! There are plenty of YouTube videos to guide you.
    Get gasket and springs first pull it apart , clean plates if required (mine were fine) replace them at a later date if you think the plate's are a bit suspect, but I'd say they probably don't as occasionally slipping is probably spring related !!
    Put it back together and enjoy !
    I've done 2,500 klms on new springs, towing included and had engine re-dyno tuned to suit big bore kit (905cc & ported head) and it hasn't slipped since !

Cheers capt.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Derby
    Thank you all for the replies.

It turns out that the culprit seems to have been too much oil. When I drained and measured it there was jut over 4 litres came out.

I’ve refilled with new oil to 3.8 litres and no more slippings.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo New Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Derby
    Could be a bit of both potentially.