America 2003 Tps Wiring Help Needed Please

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by slimlavud, Apr 21, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. slimlavud

slimlavud Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2015
    London, UK
    Hello fellow Trumpeters

I am slowly (2 years) rebuilding a stolen recovered 2003 carburettor 790 America, it was stolen by a drug addict (I think) who bashed in the tank with a hammer, took off the carbs and lost or sold them, ripped out random wires and the airbox and many other parts.

I have bought and rebuilt the bike all from money made from selling items on eBay - nothing from the family budget, honestly....

All going well but I have a couple of problems - the previous keeper (he didn't own the bike!) ripped the plug off the carb end of the TPS wiring (see picture one).

So, I need the triangular plug (male end) to wire the three wires to fit into the socket (picture two) - has anyone got an old loom or similar that they could cut the socket off and sell me?

And which colour wires go to which please - a question for Forchetto I imagine...? The blue, yellow and black wires are not listed or shown in the wiring diagram.

Also, the previous keeper tore out the ignition switch and lost it, with its plug socket that mates with the male plug that goes to the fuse box - can anyone help with an old faulty ignition switch that they could cut the socket off and sell me? Otherwise obviously I will have to cut the wires off the loom end and fit a new plug and socket.

I have looked at dozens of AMP and other plugs and sockets and cannot find the triangular plug/socket listed or the ignition switch to fuse box plug socket - can anyone help please?

Also, does anyone have a fuse box lid I might buy? And a starter cable? And a negative (earth/ground cable) please?

I am in UK but will pay reasonable postage.

tps wires one smaller.jpg

tps plug smaller.jpg

tps plug end.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. slimlavud

Jul 8, 2015
    London, UK
    Thanks but as it is not there I don't know! I don't know where the earthing point is to bolt it to either...

3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    About 6 inches would do , goes from back of battery box , left hand side below front of seat to the left side of the gear box case ?!

4. slimlavud

Jul 8, 2015
    London, UK
    Thanks Capt, could you tell me which bolt or fixing it goes under please?
    I posted my questions on Triumphrat and I got no answers except suggesting I fit a keyless ignition system and leave the TPS unconnected. I don't know why people can't just try and answer the questions without trying to sell me their clever new ideas...!

5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I'll look at my 09 America later today take a pic etc

• Like Like x 1
  6. slimlavud

Jul 8, 2015
    London, UK
    Thank you very much, any other pics of the electric cable layouts around the battery and starter solenoid side and especially the long stainless wire wiring guide thing on the left side you might get would be very much appreciated, my bike was a real mess, with wiring chopped off here and there, missing lots of parts etc so any reference pics are great! Thanks.

7. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    IMG_20200423_144829.jpg IMG_20200423_144844.jpg IMG_20200423_144918.jpg
    Top picture , LGE red taped wire near top of fuse box , is my original power (+'ve) cable ! (-'ve) went to the rear most bolt on top of gear box , obscured by black tube !
    Middle picture , just behind fake carburettor top , three pin plug (socket) this is fuel injection power/control on EFI Bike , but would be approximately where TPS plug would be found.
    Bottom picture , where the cigarette power socket is (side of airbox) I where the original starter relay was located. You can see the original +'ve lead from battery , just to right of the lower side cover lug hole .

I have done major re-wire of power and charging system. Alternator direct to regulator to battery. And battery in front of Engine , 4' inch power lead to starter motor and 4' inch earth strap , using super light weight Lithium Ion Battery.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. slimlavud

Jul 8, 2015
    London, UK
    Thanks very much Capt, that is a help. Cheers, Slim

• Like Like x 1