Alternator

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tonyf, Sep 13, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tonyf

Tonyf New Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Kent
    Hi I've got a 2008 speed triple 1050 which I bought last year. Had charging problems with it replace rectifier and alternator. Was OK then had to change alternator again and now its gone again. Any ideas why this keeps happening ?
    T

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Wiggly amps Tony, the work of the devil mate. (Eh dilli?)
    Welcome, I know less than two thirds of sod all about electrics so I can’t offer any help but I know there are members who will be able to shed some light on your problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tonyf

Tonyf New Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Kent
    Well thank you and I hope so

4. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Did you replace your battery? a faulty/weak battery can often be the cause of alternator and rectifier to fail.

5. Tonyf

Tonyf New Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Kent
    No I haven't was thinking this .. If I charge battery overnight it starts the bike then ride it to work battery doesn't start the bike when I arrive ?

6. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I would start by fitting a new battery.....its way cheaper than replacing the alternator....again!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Tonyf

Tonyf New Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Kent
    OK thanks will give it a go

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome. Good luck with that...

9. Tonyf

Tonyf New Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Kent
    Thanks

10. deaks25

deaks25 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    I had a similar problem with my '05 bike: replaced the fitted regulator, that died as well. Fitted a new reg & alternator (Which was showing signs of burning), worked fine for a few weeks then same problem. Had a new battery, but both the new & old are in good condition.

I then bit the bullet and carried out a resistance test, to make sure the alternator was ok.

On my '05, the regulator is on the right hand side, next to engine (literally!). The helpful people on here told me this is a design flaw (Hot electrical component next to a hot mechanical component!!) and for the refresh around 2008, Triumph moved it.

Might be worth checking where yours is. It's plausible yours is a late pre-refresh model & so still has the dumb-ass location. It'll either be on the right hand side, mid-engine or lower left hand side. I replaced the dead regulator with a new one & relocated it away from the engine & has been faultless since.

11. Tonyf

Tonyf New Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Kent
    Thanks .. Will check