Alternative To Portal Tv?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Helmut Visor, Apr 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    This is a question for all you wiggly amp technical type people :cool::cool:
    I am coming round to the idea of using some sort of video conferencing camera thingy on my TV to be able to chat with daughters etc without getting my arse off the sofa ;);)
    I don't want it on tablet or computer as I want Mrs Visor to participate but don't want to have to sit too close to her :p:p
    The only one that I have heard of is Portal TV but that uses Facebook, and we all know how good they are at harvesting :triumph::triumph:
    So my question is, is there a reasonable (less spying or hackable) alternative to Portal TV that is easy to set up and can be attached to my and my daughters TV's so we can shoot the shit whilst wandering around our respective living rooms? :D:D

2. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Unfortunately it seems Skype stopped supporting Skype on TV a couple of years ago :mad::mad:

3. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

If you have a reasonable new tv, check if it’s got screen mirroring. If it does you can use your phone as the camera by connecting it via blue tooth and sticking the phone at the bottom of the tv... use WhatsApp for upto 4 connected at one time... my old tv doesn’t have screen mirroring, but I’ve got Apple TV on it, so I use that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    You can attach a laptop to your tv through an hdmi cable and use something like zoom, which seems to be popular. One problem you’ll have is sound if you’re wandering around,in your pinny and hoovering, as the puddly mic isn’t going to be of much quality

• Like Like x 1
  5. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    #5 Helmut Visor, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Not a fan of Zoom, Houseparty and Portal ;);)
    Mrs Visor is in intel and these are very insecure and regularly hacked : unamused:: unamused:

6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yup but I suppose that’s what you got to accept on free stuff. Any device has the potential to be hacked. Early days of zoom you’d have strangers crashing into chats because no one bothered to password them.
    If you have a camera on your device then someone could be watching you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AdeBeaudu

AdeBeaudu New Member

Aug 8, 2023
    australia
    I totally feel you on the whole "stay on the sofa and chat" vibe – convenience is key, right? And yes, the Facebook data concerns are a valid worry.

• Agree Agree x 1