Alpinestar Or Tcx Boots - Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Sprinter1050uk, Jan 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sprinter1050uk

May 4, 2017
    Mansfield, Notts
    Sidi zip pull retainer finally gave way at the weekend so can no longer fix anything to pull zip up. Have put some plastic cement on it to get a grip on but really is a faff so new boots it is. I have narrowed it down to either Alpinestar SMX5 or later 6 or the TCX S Speed by looking on the net but obviously need to try some on but a few minutes in a shop isn't always enough to get a good feel, so looking for advice on comfort and longevity. Always found the Sidis a narrow fit and would give me a blister if I walked round in them for a couple of hours so was wondering if any of these two were a slightly wider fit. Wear them most days of the week for commuting on Sprint St 1050 so not looking towards Adventure or short boots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

On my second pair of Astars, first pair didn't claim to be waterproof, but were, up until the end after 6 years. Second pair claim to be, and so far have been. SMX plus with goretex liner. Not cheap, but waterproof and comfy. Inside boot laces up to very nice fit, bit like their top spec race boots.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ian1975

Ian1975 New Member

Jan 24, 2019
    Weston Super Mare
    I have been using the TCX S-Speed Goretex for a few months now. Waterproof and pretty warm, ridden in freezing temperatures and down pours, always been dry and warm. They were comfortable from the start. No complaints so far done about 5000 miles in them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I have tried both A* and TCX and I liked them both. They are both good brands so should be fine with either of those providing the fitment is good for you.

I had the A* Web Gortex and did 6000 miles and ridden through some torrential rain and my feet stayed dried through out the journey. The boots still looks great other than few scuffs here and there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Boej007

Boej007 Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Aberdeenshire
    Hello Mate, Bought my first pair of boots end of last year. Was looking for a compact waterproof boot and was a toss up between the said brands. I went with TCX Jupiter 4 GTX. They offer much, if not all I need. Had them on once and are incredibly comfortable. I'm quite wide in the foot and they suit me bang on. Very sturdy well protected little things. I love the fact that you are very mobile on them and they still offer decent protection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Tcx every time, alpines have dropped in quality over the last few years.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Glad I had a read of this topic as i want to replace my boots later this year and never tried the TCX. So will give them a look.
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
  8. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I currently have Alpinestar Supertech r boots, they have been super comfy from day 1 with no breaking in needed, they also have an inner lace up boot (a little like winter plastic climbing boots), they are not cheap but really good quality and comfort. I have also had TCX boots (formerly Oxtar), again these are a comfy boot and very well made, they have a rougher textured lining than the Alpinestar boots. It comes down to how they fit you personally, go and try both makes on if you can. Sportsbike Shop do good deals on both makes. Both are excellent and you will not go far wrong with either make. Peoples feet are often slightly different in size and shape from left and right, for those that do have differences, then Altberg based in Yorkshire do a made to measure service on their motorcycle boot, these will last you a lifetime and considering they offer a bespoke service they are reasonable in price, they do boots for the military and police so quality is guaranteed. Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    TCX for me. I've had the same pair now for 4 or more years. At a guess I'd say they've covered 50000 miles. The soles are showing some wear but they still keep the water out and are as comfy as day one! They were well priced too for a gortex boot. Don't know the exact model now but they are identical to (probably a copy of) the Daytona road star.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sprinter1050uk

May 4, 2017
    Mansfield, Notts
    I started this thread and eventually went for Alpinestar, they felt more comfortable than the Tcx and have had no issues so far. Far better fit than the Sidi I had before. Tried on a variety of sizes in both from Sportsbikeshop and walked around the house in them on the carpet and sat on the bike in the garage once I got the size right to see how they felt.

• Like Like x 3