All Together Now...........legs Out!

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by curly, Oct 26, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Last night I sat and watched bike racing which I had recorded from the tv, first time I've done this for years.
    The Moto GP from Philip Island was breathtaking to say the least, some bloke called Zarko, or something like that, was a glimpse of the future for sure?
    I did notice riders sticking their legs out from time to time when approaching ' slower ' bends and wondered about this.
    Afterwards I watched WSBK and was amazed to see what looked like all the riders doing this leg out thing in an almost synchronized move on a very regular basis.
    This is a new tactic to me, what is it all about?
    Can someone enlighten me please?
    I have noticed riders of automatic small wheeled mopeds sticking their legs out on roads where I live and can see no valid reason for this whatsoever, in these cases it makes me shudder to think of the consequences to said limb should these riders happen to fall off.
    I now assume that they are simply aping the pro's without realising the potential dangers to limb and joints?
    I'll keep my old feet firmly on the footrests where they belong!

Curly

2. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    It's supposed to be about weight distribution.

As you know riders no longer simply sit on the seat and chuck the bike around. They move all over in the seat, shifting their weight about to aid handling.

Legs are heavy, sticking one leg out moves even more weight away from the bike.

That I believe is the theory although I suspect it only has benefits when you're close to the edge of what bike and rider are capable of. Doing it on a roundabout on the A34 while riding a scooter probably doesn't help much.

3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    #3 Dougie D, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Valentino Rossi started this several years ago,no one quite knows why he did it ,the commentators used to call it a stress monitor when he first started doing it..ie going into the corners too hot so he would stick out his leg.but they think it's more likely to be an "extra brake" for going into certain corners but whatever it is a lot of riders are doing it nowadays

4. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    It also seems to be used as a form of blocking technique by some riders making themselves wider and therefore harder to pass, although I have seen riders come through anyway knocking the leg out of the way in the process, I would, if I had the skill they have :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Davie_M

Davie_M Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Hamilton
    it is only done to make the bike wider and stop people passing

7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I do it on hot days only :)
    To cool my feet down :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Now I've got an excuse when the dreaded cramp starts - " making my Rocket bigger " it's already a hgv :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Dave Teece

Dave Teece Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    Just your feet???:p

10. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Yep.....just my feet :p

11. Dave Teece

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    Wear looser trousers, you get a nice breeze up the leg:kissing:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dave Teece

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    Wear looser trousers, you get a nice breeze up the leg:kissing:

• Like Like x 1
  13. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    From the mud people
    That vid goes someway to explain it, but im not convinced entirely. My thoughts are, what do most of them do on their days off....ride motorcross. Rossi even has his own track, so if he started it, and invites others to use his track , they are going to pick up habits from one to the other. Watch motorcross, all if not most do the same on all corners. Thats the only reason i can see it being used, also goes some way to understand the balance he was on about in the vid as well.

14. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I'm sure there are loads of people who will offer "logical" reasons for this behaviour - but I'll offer another alternative reason.

Rossi, (who is a real comedian and loves playing around whilst racing) one day a few years ago had a thought "I wonder if the others will copy me if I do something really daft, you know, really stupid ? Tell you what, I'll stick me leg right out just before a corner !!!!

If anybody asks I'll tell 'em it helps me go round corners quicker".

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I reckon Stollydriver is on the money.
    Leg goes out for a stretch to shake the cramp off. :eek:
    Nothing to do with technique or weight distribution. :p

16. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Rossi was once asked why he did it,his reply was i don't know but i know why others are now doing it!

• Like Like x 1
  17. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Ah, now it begins to make sense!
    Where the GOAT goes the rest of the pack, sorry I mean flock, will surely follow!

Curly

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Flock of geese, sheep or seagulls (band),Herd of goats, cows and Thora's.:)

19. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Not only can they stick their legs out, they can recognise Fiona Bruce and Barack Obama when they're spectating!!!