All in a weekends work.

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Dazza215, Jul 22, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dazza215

Dazza215 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Kings Norton
    Right chaps, Busy weekend planned.
    Going to fit cocktail shakers plus 18 inch extensions, they need the baffles wrapping as they are far too loud as standard....
    Then an SAI deletion to get rid of the popping on overrun and hopefully it will sort out the jerky throttle response too.
    Maybe a remap and limiter removal if I can work out how the software works.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Yes, I'll be very interested in hearing how you get on, particularly regarding the cocktail shakers / extensions

3. Dazza215

Jun 29, 2016
    Kings Norton
    Ok,
    I fitted the cocktail shakers and extensions from the classic bike shop. they were really LOUD, too loud in my opinion. I removed the baffles with a view to wrapping them and found that the baffles that come with the silencers are a straight cylinder and could not fit back into the silencers with baffle wrap on them. I got some different baffles that were thinner (see attached picture), wrapped them in baffle wrap, fitted them, and the bike now sounds awsome!!! I am really pleased with it now.
    I did find that they were popping loudly on overrun so I carried out the SAI deletion and that has cured that.
    I cannot reccomend this MOD enough. It has transformed the look and sound of my bike.
    I will try and get some pictures of my "new look" bike on here as soon as I can.

IMG-20160722-WA0000.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  4. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Hi Dazza, Just curious did you buy the kit available to remove the SAI ?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Thanks for the update, Dazza. ….. Yeah, get a couple of pics posted !!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dazza215

Jun 29, 2016
    Kings Norton
    I got my SAI kit from Triumph Twin Power. Bit pricey for a Saturday delivery, but needs must.

7. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Yep your correct jez not much to it at all thread size is - 12 M x 1.25 (a nissan micra sump plug fits though they dont mention what year) together with copper washer and copper slip, leave the small pump in place and you dont need a resister(if you do then a 10 watt 50 ohm does the job) all then to do is plug the hole in the air box,
    Simples !!!! I think lol
    I will get round to it eventually as you say I also love the popping !! but as well as removing that it also stops the top of the header pipes from blueing so easily.

8. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Kit consists of
    head bolts to cover holes from removed tubes
    air box bung
    resistor with two wires that connect to the removed pump wires once you cut off the plug.
    couple of copper washers and some copper anti seize paste
    I think !!!

9. Dazza215

Jun 29, 2016
    Kings Norton
    The kit had two plugs, two washers, some copper grease, two plasti covers for the end of the bolts that hold the air valve, and a plastic wrap thing that I didn't use because I don't know where it went. Lol.
    The plugs were a better option for me as they are black and really flush as they are Allen tops.

10. Dazza215

Jun 29, 2016
    Kings Norton
    Oh and the air box bung

11. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Don't forget, the more flush the bolt (as in the kit from Triumph Twin Power) the easier the access will be to the spark plugs.

BTW I've used the TTP kit to remove the SAI on my carb'd Speedmaster with no problems at all.

12. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    How much was the kit Dazza ? If you dont mind

13. Dazza215

Jun 29, 2016
    Kings Norton
    It was £20 plus the postage.

• Like Like x 2
  14. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Not to bad, So am I correct yours is an EFI model, if so following the instructions you received with the kit you must have re- tuned your ECU afterwards is that correct ?
    (if you removed everything to do with the SAI, otherwise you would have the engine management light on)

15. Dazza215

Jun 29, 2016
    Kings Norton
    My bike is the EFI. There were no instructions with the kit but I watched a YouTube video on how to do it. It took about 20 mins. I didn't need to remap the engine or anything as the ECU sorts thing out for you. I think I will go for a remap eventually though to make sure its running correctly. No engine management light either which pleased me.

16. Dazza215

Jun 29, 2016
    Kings Norton
    I left the little black pump thing in place, just removed the silver valve unit.

17. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    The carb'd Speedmasters definitely have the SAI system.

It was from 2007 that the new models came with the EFI. They also have different fuel tanks, a more flatter / wider tank than the carb'd bikes which is narrower and taller in comparison...

• Like Like x 1
  18. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Arrhh Thats why you have no engine light then, because if you remove the pump and start the bike it will produce an engine light, you did that the same way as I would go, pump left in place is no big deal.
    The plastic wrap thing you had left over, was a piece of shrink wrap to cover over the pump's electric plug if removed !!!

• Like Like x 2