Alarm blanking plug

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by H.O., Feb 2, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Bonneville 2003, Datatool S4 (red), to fit blanking plug T2500396, any one done this please?
    Is it as simple as un-plugging Datatool unit and plugging in new plug?
    How do I stop the unit screaming when I un-plug it?
    Don't suppose I'll get instructions with the plug.
    Any idea's please?
    Apparently, these come with the bike before the alarm is fitted, some thrown away, others sent back to prove the alarm is fitted.
    Ta awfully a wot chaps!
    Terry

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Hi if you switch off alarm using remote you can disconnect alarm without it sounding with shorting plug fitted alarm is completely disconnected from bike electrical system;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Cheers for that, I've 'broken in' to the metal box to get to the white block (no easy job;)), I have 2 very small black connectors with very thin wires on the back of the white block, the slide off the white block, do I leave these connected, I don't know what they are for.
    Any one reading this thinking of nicking a bike, don't bother, it's NOT a five minute job getting to the plug, with the alarm set it would have gone off well before you get to it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Yes leave other wires connected just disconnect the oblong block connector and fit the shorting plug in its place. smaller plugs possibly connects led and seat micro switch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    The anti tamper casing over plug are not available as a separate part, you may have to use a heat shrink if you have destroyed it when removing it, thats if you are refitting the alarm back onto the bike again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    You can get into the box without damage, ( not saying on here, p.m. me if any one needs to know, you aint going to break into it at the side of the road, thats for sure!), I got mine off with care & difficulty, just as well really as the 'Shorting plug' as Triumph officially call it on the bag don't fit mine!!!
    Too big!
    All back together, and you wouldn't know its been off, everything working as it should.
    Buggered if I know what now, when weather improves a bit I'll nip over the Edinburgh Triumph and have a word.
    In the mean time I'm still lumbered with this poxy alarm!
    Was thinking of leaving until my insurance runs out anyway as it's down as having one fitted and sod's law say's if it got nicked they would not pay out or reduce payout due to it not being fitted.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    HO where did you get shorting plug from did you order it via Triumph dealer ??

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Yes, they've said I can take it back, there is another plug p/n T2500203, I'll compare them but from the pictures I've seen on the web they look the same!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Why not post wrong one back to them and then they can post you the correct one ?? will save time and running around, this is what my dealer has done for me in the past;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    That's what they suggested........................................................but I want a ride-out to see the new Bonnie anyway;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    #11 PETER CLARKE, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Enjoy the speed twin and ride by wire.:eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. stuart webb

stuart webb New Member

Dec 14, 2018
    Wirral
    Hi, I know this is an old thread, however I have a similar problem. I've bought a blanking plug for my Tigers datatool system. It's easy to fit but it sets the alarm off and it can't be stopped until I reconnect the lead again.
    How do I fit it, is there a sequence

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    Just to confirm - you mean that your alarm goes off as soon as you disconnect it I presume (not so much that installing the bypass sets it off)

You need to be sure it is disarmed before you remove it - note that it will auto re-arm within about 45 secs even if you don't do anything.
    So you should be able to remove it if it is in disarmed state.
    Otherwise a large hammer is good alternative to shut if up!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. stuart webb

stuart webb New Member

Dec 14, 2018
    Wirral
    Good point, I'll try that

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    The hammer? :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. stuart webb

stuart webb New Member

Dec 14, 2018
    Wirral

Bucket of water I think

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. darren turner

darren turner New Member

Aug 7, 2019
    bury St edmunds
    I am removing a faulty alarm using the shorting plug on my triumph sprint. As I can't locate the connector I'm looking for I guess it is inside this anti tamper box? I am thinking of forcing it open, but can you offer any advice on the best way to open it please? I was thinking of using a hot knife or a large hammer. Thanks!

18. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Does the box have screws on it? If so you’ll probably be able to get a driver to fit them rather than destroying the box

19. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    took mine off the lads 675 tona without too much issue just got the blanking plug. silencing the alarm was fun hammer didn't work so we left it in a bucket of water bleeping to its drowned death :laughing::laughing::laughing:

20. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    #20 D'Ecosse, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    What year/model Sprint do you have?
    Most of the later Sprints with the S4 alarm don't have the enclosure around the connector, but just a piece of large heatshrink - older ones might have the S3 with the hard enclosure.
    It really depends on what you plan to do with it - since the alarm itself is already defective, and the box/enclosure serves no purpose other than making it difficult to access the connector plug, I would say there isn't much point in trying to delicately remove it. :D

I did find these old instructions for one with the enclosure - not your model but most of similar generation probably used same or similar parts - may help in removing enclosure (although this is a late model, although connector is same, the enclosure may have 'evolved')
    https://manualzz.com/doc/30427056/english-fitting-instructions--thunderbird-lt-and-thunderbird
    See page 9

• Like Like x 1