Air Box Full Of Petrol

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by T0pcat, Apr 26, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. T0pcat

T0pcat Member

Oct 24, 2018
    UK
    After a long rideout, yesterday, I couldn't start my bike this morning. I found the airbox full of petrol. No obvious signs of leaking from the fuel line or carbs. Where's it coming from?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    Crankcase breathing? Check your oil level, if it is higher than the norm, it might be spitting some oil into the airbox.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. T0pcat

T0pcat Member

Oct 24, 2018
    UK
    It's definitely petrol in the airbox but I'll check the oil as I'd hate to think the oil is contaminated with petrol and from the level of the petrol in the box, it's a distinct possibility. Thankyou for reminding me about the breather.

4. T0pcat

T0pcat Member

Oct 24, 2018
    UK
    Update, Changed oil and filter,, dried out the air box. ran the engine. Last night the airbag was full of petrol again. This time the bike was on its vnre stand, The carbs are angled towards the engine so I would expect fuel to fill the inlet tracts, if it were a carb problem, but no. The tank is good and the petrol tap is new. The carbs were recently removed and thoroughly cleaned before re-assembly. If I HAVE to I'll get them off again, but it's a rotten job and if I can avoid it, any hints would be good

5. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Is it oil and petrol or just petrol?
    Piston rings?

6. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#6 Cyborgbot, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2021
    Don’t know if this comment will help, but if you put a tube from the air box back into the petrol tank, you’d inadvertently invent a perpetual mention (motion) engine.

Just saying…

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. ThruxM

ThruxM Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Avon
    I'd say carb float valves not sealing or a dodgy float. Either punctured or jamming. Perhaps check by blowing into the carb fuel line before pulling apart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sam G

Sam G New Member

Feb 1, 2021
    Medina ohio 44256
    My air box is full of oil and is dripping out of a hose like an overflow hose

9. Sam G

Sam G New Member

Feb 1, 2021
    Medina ohio 44256
    My airbox on my 955i is full of oil dripping out of the what looks like an overflow hose what could be my issue I might have had too much oil in it but now it's coming out real fast only when it's running here are some pics please help it won't let me post anywhere else on this page for some reason

10. Sam G

Sam G New Member

Feb 1, 2021
    Medina ohio 44256
    20210430_175256.jpg

20210430_175302.jpg

11. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Or even perpetual motion.

Just sayin;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    piston rings or cylinder liners. I had the exact same on the ducati.

13. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

That too.

If it were a HD engine the owner would perpetually mention it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. T0pcat

T0pcat Member

Oct 24, 2018
    UK
    #14 T0pcat, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    For anyone with this problem, the first port of call is the oil level in the crankcase. Don't ask how I know......