Ai Turn Off Valve

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bobbob, Apr 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bobbob

Bobbob Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    Has anyone tried using one of these for ‘turning off’ the Air Injection?, I’m thinking of just putting one in the hose from the air box, so I can turn it on & off as I wish.

48678F26-CDAD-434E-A9D6-3B13C8883889.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bobbob

Bobbob Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    Am I right in thinking the hose is 10mm internal?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bobbob

Bobbob Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    Just for a comparison I suppose, but must be easier than the marble/ball bearing solution

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bobbob

Bobbob Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    I’ve found the throttle really snatchy at low revs, I’m hoping disabling the SAI will help.

5. Bobbob

Bobbob Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    I’ll get some of them too.

6. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Have to disagree about iridium plugs they are designed to last longer than other plugs...they wont afford any change in combustion, and in my experience can be a little fragile when subjected to det.

7. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

Sorry to jump on your post mate its just having been through the same comments in the car tuning world and seen it proved on a dyno that different plugs make no difference....same goes for coils, HT leads etc etc i tend to feel like pointing out that just because a plug is 10 times the price of a std copper core plug...its not a better plug...its been over 100 years since the spark plug was invented yet they still haven't invented a better one.;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Bob, check my reply on your other thread about AI & O² removal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Good deal! Whatever works is the name of the game. I have and will try most anything to achieve a goal, whether I understand it or not! If it works, that's all that counts.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    NGK have even got a new name in spark plugs
    RUTHENIUM HXTM

Anything to make them sound like they will be better.......and so they can charge more money.;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Bobbob

Bobbob Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    What’s the 12 minute tune?

12. Bobbob

Bobbob Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2019
    West Yorkshire
    & it starts ok without choke or throttle?

13. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

Sorry but its the latter....the lambdas are only used for fueling adjustment up to about 1200-1500RPM i believe so adjustments are only idle and low load....but it probably will make it sound/feel better on idle.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi TD, that's not my understanding. If we were talking about low levels of throttle (0 - 6%) and the impact of the AI system, I would agree. But with O² sensors they are feeding information throughout the rev range and depending on the amount of throttle opening impact significantly on fuelling, leaning off at midrange revs and boosting up at higher revs.

This is one of the reasons why in std. trim the Bonnys can feel a little flat at about 3500-4000 revs. The curve is created to achieve deserved noise and emissions levels.

15. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    #15 Tricky-Dicky, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019

My reading and understanding of the current crop of Triumph ECU systems and looking at the fueling maps (i could be wrong though) is that lambda feedback is only used for idle and low RPM/Load adjustments, and just like any other EFI system that doesn't use live fueling feedback throughout the load range (wide-band lambda sensors) it will go whats known as open loop and rely on the fueling maps after a certain engine load point.

From looking at the various maps that are available for Tune ECU they look distinctly like final/fixed fueling maps and not target maps to me, and the very fact that some have actually deleted the lambda sensors proves the point to me.

Edit...i have just read what you said on the other SIA removal thread and you are actually advocating removing the O2 sensors...so if the ECU did indeed use them throughout the RPM/load range it would cause major problems as it would then be a live feedback system!

For the ECU to use live fueling and timing adjustments the O2 sensors would need to be wide-band and there would also need to be wide-band knock sensors fitted in order to accomplish this, there are a few newer cars that use this system but i have yet to hear of a bike that does.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    This should be done every now and then regardless of mods etc, it basically resets the TPS

17. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Not sure just why a FBW throttle would need to be reset? unless there is a problem, most have a reset procedure that's only used if there is a communication problem.