Agm Battery For 71 Tr6r?

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by James E Preuss, Jan 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. James E Preuss

Jul 10, 2019
    Kirkwood, MO
    The current (no pun intended) battery in my 1971 Tiger TR6R is a Yuasa YB7L-B lead acid type and it is dying. It measures approx. 5 5/8" L, 2 7/8" W and 5 5/9" H. There is room for a slightly larger battery.
    I have AGM batteries in most of my vehicles and would like to find out which is the largest Absorbent Glass Mat battery that will fit. The original specification calls for a Lucas PUZ5A, which is NLA.
    Does anyone have an AGM battery in his/her 71 Tiger? If so, what is the model/brand and how well does it fit?
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Until someone confirms their Agm batteries in TR6R, have a look at Tayna batteries, they give all the dimensions of their modern batteries and may even have a recommendation for your bike?

• Like Like x 1
  3. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    most agm batteries have the same dimensions as the old acid equivalents probably a B7 series for the old trumpet.
    ps why do you need a big battery as it is only powering the coils ??

4. James E Preuss

Jul 10, 2019
    Kirkwood, MO
    I always buy the largest battery I can fit into my vehicles since I am not able to drive each one as often as I would like, ergo, each battery will be inactive for days or even several weeks. I keep a trickle charger on each to maintain a decent charge.
    Plus my Tiger has turn signals and lights in addition to the twin coils.
    I have found the MotoBatt MB9U battery as the best AGM replacement. MotoBattMB9U .jpg

5. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    seems like you have answered your own question James

6. James E Preuss

Jul 10, 2019
    Kirkwood, MO
    Obviously. This thread should be closed.