Aggressive Overtakers

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Richard H, Apr 23, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Enjoyed a great long weekend riding with the Mrs and friends around the north York Moors and Peak District.
    Our little group like to make reasonable progress through traffic overtaking cars but this weekend I've witnessed too many really aggressive over-takes by individuals or groups of fellow bikers intent on coming by no matter what or where.
    Heading out of Glossop I was just about to overtake a car when the mrs shouted over the intecom that a Fireblade had just overtook her and was approaching me. He dropped right in front of me a couple of yards behind the car I was waiting to overtake (after the double whites). I figured if he was in that much of a hurry to just give him space and let him go. Trouble was knobhead on Fireblade had several other knobhead mates all of who didn't want to loose chief knob, all dropping in between us then taking the earliest opportunity to to do 4 or 5 cars in one go. They certainly hadn't followed us for any time to decide if we were dawdlers.

FB_IMG_1492968041385.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I'm now riding a speedmaster because I was that knob on the blade
    Everything in front of me was a target I had to get past and I wasn't happy until they were behind me
    It was like an addiction
    What put me off and made me realise how stupid I was being was one day riding with mates all four of us on sports bikes were riding silly speeds when we came upon four other riders
    We got past them and two of them didn't like it and started playing silly buggers
    Came to a tight left hander my mate at the front then me as I readied for the corner both these bikes past me way too hot
    The first one just made it the second one didn't
    He slid off under the wheels of a 4x4 coming the other way
    Killed instantly
    Found out he was 33yr old fireman with a wife and two kids
    It was horrible for everyone involved especially the poor woman driver who had two children with her
    My son was about 6 at the time
    Stopped me being that knob
    A senseless loss of life and a lot of heartache for those involved
    Maybe I should put this on a Fireblade forum

• Like Like x 12
  3. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Respect Dilli, I gave up my Gixer, it was just no longer a pleasure, but a pain and highly dangerous, I went down the cruiser route, still am, but still got the same thing, found a Duc overtaking me as I overtook a car, just wave 'em past these days, I don't wanna play any more. I get quite a lot of left hand thanks for doing so. I have valuable cargo..me! and I am not invincible. Must be an age thing. Two Busas hit head on not too far from me, one had been a policeman. Don't matter, when the red mist drops it drops, have to be really firm with myself these days and do yer know I've forgotten all about others after a few minutes, am vigilant with my mirrors, especially for other bikes. Be safe guys, you have absolutely nothing to prove. Keep that rubber side downwards, I for one enjoy yer friendship on here.

• Like Like x 10
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Only two types of biker mate
    Those that have crashed!
    Those that are gonna crash!
    Be careful

• Like Like x 6
  5. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    One of them was a member of a Busa forum I'm on, his son is on the forum as well.
    The policeman on the Busa was apparently on the wrong side of the road :(

• Like Like x 1
  6. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    We've all seen it and no doubt done it. It's not just limited to the sports bike guys.
    Thankfully I'm too old for those games now. I just go at my own pace.
    Reason I tend to ride alone or if I'm with mates I just say meet you there. They then ride their ride , I ride mine :)

• Like Like x 11
  7. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Ditto Gary
    Keeping up or setting the pace with mates can be a dangerous game.
    I still count my blessings from my young tearaway days, no chance of being lured into that these days.

• Like Like x 9
  8. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Agree there Mick. Even on the GMU rides if I'm not fast enough ( highly likely ) I'll just ride my own ride.
    At the end of the day it's about enjoying yourself and having fun. Riding like a bat out of hell is no longer fun imv :)
    Only time I hurry is when I have to be somewhere at a specific time.

• Like Like x 3
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Aye mate
    A&E across the country call us lot donors

• Like Like x 2
  10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yeah DD I remember that, not only new riders but guys coming back onto bikes that went 3 times faster and their reactions were 6 times slower than when last on bikes!

• Like Like x 4
  11. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Born again bikers is the phrase that was used I believe
    Still applies now
    Couple of more mature workmates recently passed tests
    Both got sports bikes
    It's scary to watch

• Like Like x 1
  12. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    After riding for 37 years I've no interest in competing, keeping up, or out cornering anyone. I enjoy riding a quick bike (currently an MT 10) but self restraint is needed, something that is lacking in some.

I think several years of riding in groups with lady riders (including the mrs) has had a calming affect on the way I ride and there is certainly non of the macho competitiveness of groups I used to ride with years ago.

All I would ask of riders wanting to go faster is to pass safely without endangering my life and the life of those around me.

Not sure how many other guys do this but if I do want to have a quicker blast out once in a while I set an alarm really early, get out on my own while there is little or no traffic. Been back home on a Sunday morning before the mrs has woken up.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    No , my nose down arse up days are over, enjoy the ride not the speed....except if its safe to do so :)

• Like Like x 6
  14. martingw1

martingw1 Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Went to cadwell last weekend, there I am on the road between Louth and Cadwell, not hanging around, but not being a dick either (not in a hurry to lose my licence, or damage my one piece body) when whoosh, him and his mate came past so fast it made me jump, (and yes I do keep an eye on what's happening behind me!) but these two literally came out of nowhere, I don't have a problem with people overtaking me, the problem I have that seems to be getting a lot worse over the past couple of seasons, what's with the cutting in, and passing so close, they almost rip the decals of the fairing panels? It ain't impresive and certainly not clever!

• Like Like x 8
  15. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Had a couple of bikes overtake a group of us on solid white lines a couple of years ago. Came round a corner 10 minutes later as one of them was pulling his bike out of a hedge.
    Enjoying the adventure bike these days as the fast boys don't like the back roads.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Back roads and B roads are the place to enjoy riding a motorcycle.

• Like Like x 8
  17. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    We not so long ago had a similar incident where two bikes traveling in opposite directions hit head on because of stupid speeds they were doing and ended up using each other's lanes on a long bend. Both guys died and though I didn't know them I can only imagine the voids they left behind for people who loved them.

• Like Like x 4
  18. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Sadly things like that happen all too often. At the end of the day it's the families that suffer not those that died through their stupidity

• Like Like x 2
  19. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

It doesn't feel right pressing the like button in here
    But I think we're all trying to make the same statement and that's what I like

• Like Like x 1
  20. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    It's embarassing sometimes though. You're sat in traffic on a narrow road waiting for the lights to change, double white lines and five or six power rangers flash by on the wrong side of the road to get to the front. I sometimes shake my head in the hope that the driver of the car behind me will recognise one bike riders disapproval.

• Like Like x 5
  21. mappster

mappster Member

Jan 24, 2017
    North Wales
    Very true. How many young people do you see on bikes these days anyway?

• Like Like x 2
  22. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Its Amazing the growing up you do as you get older :rolleyes::)

• Like Like x 1