After 15 Years And 2,000 Miles

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Red Thunder, Dec 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    A mate has picked up a Yamaha FZS600 with 2,000 miles and has been in storage for 15 years or so.
    Last fired up two years ago

I am helping him get it road ready
    Regarding oil, the normal is 10/40 semi I believe. I plan on draining the current stuff without firing it up, replacing it with inexpensive oil for a week and running a few heat cycles through it and then replace with decent quality oil.

My question is can I use a lighter weight cheap oil to help dilute any sludgy nasty stuff, clear all the oil channels etc
    If so what weight to use!

Am I doing the right thing here,

I guess an oil filter would be needed too

New battery and tyres on order
    Coolant, spark plugs and brake oil will be replaced

Anything else?

2. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    That's a long time standing! Pretty much any seal could have gone ! Brake pistons likely stuck ! SUspension probably needs service too. Any moisture anywhere over all that time will have taken its toll ,..
    Probably needs a thorough check over and recommissioning.. good luck with the bike !

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Sounds like you’ve got the right plan for it there Red, all I would say is it’s probably ok to use a cheap 10/40 with filter then go with the good stuff, no need for a thinner oil?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I would disconnect the ignition first and turn over till the oil light goes out as a first job. Maybe do this a couple of times before attempting to start up.

Do all the starting with a jump start from a bigger slave battery to protect the electrics / starter, 30 secs of operation on the starter and a rest after each try.
    If you jump start from another vehicle make sure the engine is off and the keys in your pocket

Buy a couple of filters as the one in now may well be toast and collapsed, fit a new filter and whatever oil you decide to use.

beware of fully synth oils on an older motor, I would go for the same std of oil possibly SG/SH rated and see if you can get some seal swell to add to the initial oil to help soften up the seals for the initial startup.

You can dump this out at the first oil swap.

Good luck as theyre a pretty good motor

• Useful Useful x 3
  5. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    It should be fine, I bought a blade a few years ago that had been standing for about 7 years with old fuel in the tank. Stuck a new battery on and after about a half a dozen tries, it fired and after some coughing, spluttering and a bit of blue smoke, it ran perfectly.

All I ended up doing was giving it a full service and changed the plugs, I didn’t touch the carbs or even drain the fuel.

10W40 semi synthetic is fine for these old ‘90’s Sportsbikes

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    The tyres will be shite, they’ll feel like riding on a sheet of ice, plus tyre technology has moved on a fair bit, you can a get very good deal on new old stock Pirelli Diablos about £120 a set and they work perfectly on these older bikes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Got a pair Metzler Z8 on order

8. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    If I remember correctly there was a problem a good while ago with filters disintegrating and blocking off the oil flow, I would at least remove the filter and check it before you start the engine, may save wrecking the motor for the cost of a filter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    15 years in storage is a long time especially if stored incorrectly, was the bike just parked up and left?

If it was mine I’d change the oil & oil filter before start up, not worth risking for a few £’s.
    Oil and brake fluid are a must, don’t forget brake fluid is hydroscopic.
    You will get problems starting with old fuel, has any fuel been left in the petrol tank/carbs.
    Change petrol lines to carbs, they may look ok on the inside but most probably breaking up internally.

10. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Friend of mine recently “recommissioned” a 1996 Yamaha Thundercat which had done 1000 miles. I say recommission, it was more like a cosmetic touch up, as the bike had fallen over and needed a bit of paint here and there and maybe a new mirror. He did all the things you suggest in your first post, basically all the fluids, and had no issues at all. It was like turning your watch back 22 years, it looked perfect, like it was back in the showroom ready for its first owner.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Opened up the tank this morning, I can only best describe the contents as rusty sludge with the viscosity of watery syrup. And by Jeezus was it stinky
    Opened the drain ports on the carburettors and nothing came out, not a dribble
    So that is our focus now, fuel tank deep clean, fuel filters, carburettors clean out
    Then oil, oil filter and brake caliper system flush n rebuild

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Couple of images IMG-20181222-WA0010.jpeg IMG-20181222-WA0010.jpeg IMG-20181222-WA0008.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  13. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Fork seals, master cylinders rebuild. also and has anyone mentioned spraying some oil in the cylinders.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Well the bike looks pretty tidy good luck with the project