Africa Twin Dct

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by chuk, Mar 25, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    aftee a fall from height at work I’ve shattered my wrist in few places resulting in the need for a plate and screws fitting,early days yet but may not regain full use so was thinking of the DCT version of the Africa twin come summer time depending on recovery,will have to sell the speed triple for the deposit or use as trade in,anyone here had personal expedition of this model of bike so far reviews I’ve seen have been favourable thanks all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Senior Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    Iv'e just sold my 6m old Africa Twin but it was a manual,the Dct by itself is very good but the rest of the bike i personally hated it and couldn't wait to be rid of it at any cost,if you must have an auto i suppose you are limited but if you can still manage a manual but want a much lighter bike have a look at KTM iv'e had 5 of them and they are quality and light,if you want to know something more specific about the honda,fire away.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Ok thanks I will make sure I get a decent test ride before I consider selling the triple,don’t want to end up regretting buying another bike but may not have to all depends on the strength in my wrist pardon the pun,I’m not really bothered about pace as don’t need a quick bike anymore over the hill l.o.l at over 50 age that is not mph haha

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gazwhitespeed

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    chuk,if any performance isn't a concern you will be in the right place,it is the most gutless bike iv'e ridden since i had a moped,other 94bhp bikes kill it but it's masked in the dct version so seems a lot better but it is a tall and heavy bike,let me know any questions after your ride and i would be interested in your thoughts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Thanks for that insight I looked at original Africa twins before my accident and other big trail bikes,must be an age thing did consider the triple 800 triumph so I’m nowhere near 100% decided what I’m really after,come better weather and depending on wrist will get few miles on my triple before deciding which way to go may end up not changing it my heads all over the place,I’m looking forward to getting back to work how sad is that l.o.l.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gazwhitespeed

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    I'm the same mate,just had knee op and i am looking forward to getting a driving job to take me to retirement,iv'e had 4 tiger 800's and they are 94bhp the same but far better in every way to the honda but you might like the dct so much nothing else matters,i am in my late 50's but looking at a 1290 ktm with 160bhp life's too short have a go on loads if you don't like the dct there are some really good light bikes out there like the 790 ktm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    If you find that you can tolerate a bit of clutch work when you get going again, why not look for something with a quick shifter or even something that you could fit one to? May widen you choice of replacement bike a bit, or possibly take away the need to change. Can you retro-fit one to a Speed Triple?
    Just a thought.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    That’s a fair point I used to have a 1999 zrx1100 and was a forum member of ZRXOC ,there was one chap who did get bike modded to use a shifter so anything’s possible,best bet is to go to a shop that will give me the chance to try a decent few bikes and be as well making an afternoon of it,at least that way I have a better chance of getting something I won’t get bored with and might end up with a bike I never previously thought about buying.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Chuk.
    Good luck with your search. And sorry to hear about your injury.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  11. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    E9C121AF-F614-4D41-A51C-7B7B707F4328.jpeg Well just out from garage I can get enough strength in hand and wrist to operate clutch,only ran bike and went from front to back of garage so it’s a start,on sorn at moment another week maybe 2 then gonna book it in for mot,think I may keep the triple as no finance owed and insurance just paid today and weathers even playing ball yippee.

• Like Like x 4
  12. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Good to see you on the mend mate :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Scrambled head

Scrambled head Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Sussex
    the new triumph have a very light clutch, might make the difference?
    Get well soon :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Chuk.
    Nice to see you are on the mend. Why not try the slipper clutch in the bike to see if it helps. My boy uses the slippers with his race bike and never uses clutch atall.
    Regards
    Joe.

15. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Don’t know if the expense is justifiable it’s a 2011 model,next week or two will know for sure but looking forward to getting back on bike,mot and tax and one casing has flaky paint right hand side(small one) if sitting on bike,will need repainted preferably without removing

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Chuk.
    Expense what's that bit. Whatever it is I'm sure it won't make you Happy. Even to change your beloved machine will cost that expense thing. If the bike makes you smile then most of its job as a partner is done. You can even get covers for those cases. Just do the things that keep you smiling we will worry about that expense thing when we are in the box.
    Regards
    Joe.

17. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Okydoky will look into the covers (r+g maybe?) but will still need a repaint prob with PJ1 or similar,reckon I will not be changing bike as it owes me nowt bought from a redundancy pay off 2014 after trading my old R1 in against it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    If you use letting the clutch lever in and out as part of you exercise regime you should hopefully build up some strength in the wrist etc. and you will know immediately how much you can use the clutch. Then you will be able to plan your return to the bike as you will know how much the wrist will tolerate.
    Just don't overdo it!!! Little and often?
    Hope your recovery is both full and timely.:)

• Like Like x 1
  19. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Thanks for the kind words yes I’ve had exercises physio gave me,the clutch is just one I added last week l.o.l. never broke a bone before so was a bit annoyed with myself at slow progress,but been told it’s normal but I’m getting there and getting out for a ride to mot bike will give me a good idea how strong the bones are

• Like Like x 2