Advisors On Front Pads After 600miles?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Madmaz, Nov 8, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Madmaz

Madmaz New Member

Sep 29, 2022
    Hereford
    Just taken my 2 month old Tiger 900 in for the 600 mile service and have an advisory warning on the front brake pads at 2mm
    I wish I was skilled enough to be doing stoppies and extreme late braking like on motogp - but am stunned that this has happened after 600 miles of normal riding?

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Are there any known recalls on this bike/model etc?

Have arranged to take the bike back to get it examined by a Triumph technician
    cheers
    keith

2. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    There must be something wrong! We have two Tiger 900 running in our family without this issue!!! On one the front break pads had to be changed at the 16.000 mile service, but not earlier! The other has about 7.000 miles on the clock without the need for a change too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum :cool:
    That's nonsense!
    My 900 had the pads changed at 7600 miles and I managed to get over 9000 out of the last set.

5. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    As all of the above, That's terrible wear and should be into the 5k+ really.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Brakes must have been dragging pretty badly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Because I was about to tour Norway, I changed mine at 10,000 miles with plenty left on them. Riding two up and often with full luggage. You have a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Definitely something amiss. I would have thought your dealer would have realised this and investigated further to find the cause rather than just give you an advisory. I would have a look to see if this excessive wear is uniform both sides or is it just one pad? Are the discs warped?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Lift the front wheel an inch of the floor and spin it gently. The drag should be pretty obvious at that wear rate.

Check there is some free play in the system and ensure nothing like aftermarket levers are causing it.

All brake systems need some free play!

10. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I dont think even Jack Miller would wear his pads out that quickly. Think you need to go elsewhere. Surely it is covered by warranty anyway, I know consumables ie tyres etc are not but at that mileage something is drastically wrong IF they are worn out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Madmaz

Madmaz New Member

Sep 29, 2022
    Hereford
    Thanks for the feedback - will let you know what Triumph say when they examine the bike...

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Madmaz

Madmaz New Member

Sep 29, 2022
    Hereford
    Got to laugh really - had update from Triumph, appears the technician doing the 600 mile service didn't calibrate the measuring tool when doing the brake pads - so no issue with the brakes etc
    Doesn't give me a lot of confidence with the service team at Blade Cheltenham and will consider somewhere else for future servicing
    Got reimbursed for the petrol and happy that there isn't an underlying issue with the bike :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Madmaz

Madmaz New Member

Sep 29, 2022
    Hereford
    Got to laugh really - had update from Triumph, appears the technician doing the 600 mile service didn't calibrate the measuring tool when doing the brake pads - so no issue with the brakes etc
    Doesn't give me a lot of confidence with the service team at Blade Cheltenham and will consider somewhere else for future servicing
    Got reimbursed for the petrol and happy that there isn't an underlying issue with the bike :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Madmaz

Madmaz New Member

Sep 29, 2022
    Hereford

15. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Common sense should have told him that they were not at 2mm despite what the measuring tool said. No doubt a yoof with a lot to learn :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    ... or an ardent salesperson/service advisor determined to reach his "upselling" target this month? :p

• Like Like x 1