Advice Removing Ignition Lock - Speed Twin

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ranger, Aug 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ranger

Ranger New Member

Jul 17, 2019
    UK
    Can I get some advice on how to remove the ignition on my speed twin pls. It’s broken and I have to replace it.

The 2 access bolts on the bottom look like they are flattened off or coming from the top of the yoke, but I can’t see how as it looks sealed.

Any thoughts?

049E63C1-C3B9-498D-ADF4-D6B36CDC434F.jpeg

5A1DA11B-A372-4B05-9044-C37C4F164CBF.jpeg

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    They’re probably shear bolts, in that the heads shear off at the right torque on installation to prevent easy removal by thieves.
    You’ll have to carefully drill them out. I’d have thought the new ignition switch/lock would come with a new set of bolts, but knowing Triumph you’ll probably have to buy them separately :p

• Like Like x 1
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Warranty job? Insurance/dealer?

5. Ranger

Ranger New Member

Jul 17, 2019
    UK
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ranger

Ranger New Member

Jul 17, 2019
    UK
    Insurance write off :)

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    So - you know that system incorporates an immobilizer, right?
    Looks like you have the key though, so that's a bonus.
    The original 'chipped' key would have to match to the Immobilizer ECU otherwise looking at having to get the replacement key matched at a dealer - the best/easiest way to do this yourself is to use the top (mechanical key lock) half of the switch assembly with the electrical bottom half. There are similar (but smaller) shear bolts that couple the two halves together - I can see that set in your second image above (just inboard of the main mounting bolts)
    If you go that route, you don't even have to necessarily remove the main shear bolts, can leave that coupled to the clamp. For those other ones, they are already proud of the flange, so you can just cut some slots in there and remove with a screwdriver.

8. Ranger

Ranger New Member

Jul 17, 2019
    UK
    Thanks for the thoughts. I knew about the ECU but didn’t think about that option with the lock which is a good idea. I actually am missing the fuel cap as well so brought the lock set in its entirety. I will have to take the bike to the dealer to reprogram the ECU which is an additional labour cost.