Advice on buying a 955i Daytona

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Duffey, Aug 11, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Duffey

Duffey New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I have an opportunity to buy an 03 Daytona. It is TRASHED! Needs fork seals, handlebar grips, full fairing (all the lights are there and work but are mounted on the fairing support pieces), fuel lines, foot pegs, front seat, rear seat, it is filthy and covered in oil and dirt. Oh, and 67,000 miles. And there is a problem with the title. SOOO, the kids in a desperate situation and for $800 is willing to part with the bike plus $350 in gear and tools.
    My question: is the cost of fixing it, hoping the engine doesn't grenade, and not ever being back to 100% worth it? Are the 21 century bikes going to be 'fool' proof for someone just looking for a fun usable motorcycle? Any help would be appreciated. My heart says "YES, I finally get a Triumph!", my mind says "Oh Heeeeell NO"

2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hi Duffey welcome to the forum, sounds like the bike has plenty of issues but is cheap. If the Title means there is a problem with the ownership documents of the bike then I would simply walk away.

3. Kradser

Kradser Active Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Esbjerg Denmark
    Fixing things can be done, no matter how trashed, but legal problems with titles and ownership can be problems that run on for years...

Personally if I really wanted the bike I would get in touch with the authorities and get the paper work sorted first. Frame numbers, engine numbers can usually be traced. If there are still doubts, walk away.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1