Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by joe mc donald, Jul 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I was wondering has anyone had any dealing with a buyer paying cleared funds into a personal bank account. Is there any pitfall or scams around this.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    If the money gets into your bank account before you sign anything or hand anything over then it shouldn’t be a problem

3. Lucky

Lucky Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Ripon UK & Limoges France
    Sorry to chip in but I'm the buyer in this scenario and not a scammer or money launderer.

With respect to your wife, paying cash is the perfect to launder money. And I don't like carrying large wedges of cash around, who sensibly would?

What I am proposing is I make a bank-to-bank transfer on my mobile phone. Ive bought and sold vehicles this way for years.

Joe, maybe speak with your bank for advice rather than 'the man in the street' ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Hi Joe

You need to speak to your bank with reference to incoming money transfers, if it is not from another UK bank there could be substantial bank charges involved with the transfer / conversion, each bank is different and handles these costs in a different way.

Asking what their exchange rate is would give you a good idea of what you will get from the transaction and any fees involved, sometimes the only way to reduce the costs is to have a dedicated currency account.

Good luck with your sale.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lucky

Lucky Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Yes, Im a UK resident using a UK bank account, who happens to have a home in France but is coming back to Blighty to buy a bike. Paying electriconically bank to bank can't be easier or safer for the seller. Tbh, all I want is the bike. I'll use cash, travellers cheques, promissory note, whatever that Joe prefers.

6. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Thanks all.
    I am very ignorant where this sort of thing is concerned. I am like someone said cash in the pocket. But I also clearly understand that no one wants to walk around with an amount of cash in there pocket due to all the pitfalls. And perhaps I told my side of this all wrong.
    Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lucky

Lucky Member

Jul 10, 2018
    #7 Lucky, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Joe, I can get cash if you're happiest that way. If we go to the nearest Barclays (where I can withdraw cash) I could hand it to you, there and then at the bank. Nice and safe, no doubts that way.

• Like Like x 2