Advice Needed...bike Cam..gopro Or Drift Ghost?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Dougie D, Nov 4, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    thinking about asking Santa for a bike cam but i don't know anything about them:confused: Gopro and Drift seem to be the market leaders, do you have to buy software for putting the video onto the computer..if so whats the best to go for..ie easiest to understand:confused:;) also do you get a mic that goes inside the crash helmet as well as the mic on the camera? also if anyone has any advice and tips on filming /editing that would be great:)

2. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
    I decided I wanted to record this years bike trip so prior to the off I bought myself a Ghost Drift S. Bought this one for no other reason than it looks better stuck to my helmet (crash) than the GoPro. So far it has cost me a small fortune... I now have 11 micro SD cards at approx 23 quid each and 4 batteries at 25 quid each. After recording most of my 3000 mile trip to France and back I am still no nearer compiling a video of any of it, although I have just recently bought a MacBook and I know how to use iMovie so maybe I'll get something up on youtube soon. The quality of footage is fantastic and can only be better I'd imagine if you buy the 4k model. I switched the mic off completely as I couldn't be doing with the wind noise, if I knew what I was doing I probably could sort this, I'll have it sussed before next years trip though...... I hope.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    I’ve got GoPro, seems pretty good. Does need separate mike (in helmet) if you want to say anything.

Rich @Rich Bryce has a Ghost, but for some reason all his footage is at 45 degrees

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    #4 crispey, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    The gopro sessions ( cheaper ones) don’t have the facility for an external mic so you’d have to go for the more expensive ones. And even those need an adapter. The cheaper ones have built in batteries so you’d have to hard wire it if you want more than an hours recording.
    The drift is a lot cheaper has the external mic facility and removable battery.
    Image stabilisation is quite important
    As for 4K only useful if your showing it on a large tv, not necessary for Youtube and any screen under 32” really
    The ghost is more aerodynamic too.
    Basic Editing software usually comes with the camera so is good to start with.

Just my observations

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Thanks guys,what i was wanting it for was to record some of my favourite runs and take it on any touring holidays, it looks as if it's going to be a costly business though..memory cards,spare batteries,portable hard drives,and as my computer is old i might need to buy a new computer:eek: How do you stop the wind noise? iv'e noticed some of the vids I've watched on Youtube the sound of the bike is crystal clear but there is no wind noise which is definitely what i would want,also i would like to be able to move the camera about on the bike, Do they come with several mounts? as i would also like to be able to move the camera from the crash helmet onto the front and rear of the bike..would it be just the case of uncliiping the camera and clipping it on the other mounts..also are you able to turn the camera on and off remotely or do you have do this manually?

6. figwold

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Lots of good videos on YouTube about vlogging cameras and biking.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. figwold

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Lots of good videos on YouTube about vlogging cameras and biking. Definitely worth a look.

8. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Knowledge is power for which I have neither!

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Great thread guys and plenty of info helpful to my own decision making on a bike camera for my needs and of course the unseen costs in owning one I:e spare batteries, memory cards etc. Thanks for the question OP.

9. splodge

splodge New Member

Aug 21, 2017
    York
    I have the Drift Ghost S and use it mounted to my helmet with an external mic inside the lining to muffle the wind noise. The rotating lens and the remote control make it very good for bikes. I bought a spare battery and that will give me a few hours of filming. Example here

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  10. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Nice video even better road what part of Germany Splodge ??

11. splodge

splodge New Member

Aug 21, 2017
    York
    #8 splodge, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Thanks, the bulk of the video is a brilliant road called the Kyffhausser - near the Harz Mountains central Germany.

• Like Like x 1