Advice Needed As My Tiger Xc Must Go :-(

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by SpeedingRat, Jun 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SpeedingRat

SpeedingRat New Member

Jun 17, 2020
    North Essex
    #1 SpeedingRat, Jun 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Hi all, I am in need of some help as I am really not sure what to do with my 2012 Tiger 800 XC. Apologies for the long first post.....

I bought the bike when it was about a year old, it was previously owned by someone from the Hinckley factory and had a few added extras such as posh levers, top box, sump cover, Arrow exhaust and a nice olive green paintjob. It was love at first sight and while it was mainly to the station and back we had a couple of great trips down to the West Country loaded up for camping and the like.

In late 2015 though I seriously damaged my leg at work and the bike sat unused for a while. It was due an MOT and I declared it off road while my leg repaired. I started it regularly and it had had a mini service before I was laid up. I it round the block a few times but my leg couldn't take the weight of the bike (even without the tank full of fuel) so it was hardly used.

Anyway about 18 months ago I thought I would get it serviced and MOT'd and then see if I could use it as the leg was stronger. It started up (sort of) first time and off we went. On the way to the garage approaching a roundabout at about 40 mph as I was starting to brake the bike went into a horrendous fishtail which I am not ashamed to say terrified me as I careered onto the roundabout out of control screaming like a banshee and with no way of steering etc. Lucky the car on the roundabout managed to stop and I came to a very shaky stop, incredibly still upright. The bike had stalled and wouldn't start, totally dead. Eventually got it home and after changing my pants eventually traced the fault to the regulator/rectifier (thank you Haynes and the members of many forums). The theory was that the electrics failed meaning that the ABS failed and hence the fishtail. I had the electrics fixed but I will be honest the fishtail had destroyed my confidence and a wobble round the block didn't inspire me much. The fishtail had also put a bald patch in the tyre. Since then the bike has been SORN'd and off road under covers on the drive. I started it regularly.

Early this year I had my normal eye test and to cut a long story short was diagnosed with a cancer in the eye which has left me, along with the treatment, blind in that eye. My motorbike career is over.

Sadly I need to shift the Tiger now as we are moving house. It has 12000 miles on the clock and as I said, never got to the first service and MOT. As it has been off road it has never been MOT'd but it starts and has had oil changes etc. It needs a rear tyre for sure and probably a front one too. So service, MOT and tyres to put it back on the road.

I don't know what to do. Is it worth getting it sorted and road ready and then selling it privately or taking the £3500 I have been offered for it in the condition that it is in from a dealer? I am no longer working so want to make sure that I get a reasonable deal for it.

Again apologies for such a long first post but this seemed the best place to get some advice from people in the know and I wanted to explain how I managed to end up with a 2012 bike that has never seen an MOT or service!

Thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Sad end to your motorcycling days but decide what price you're happy to take and put her in the bikes for sale section with some pictures :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Sorry to hear of your story and can appreciate that you need to get a fair price for the bike.
    To get it roadworthy and ready for a private sale, as you realise you have to allow for a big service, tyres and MOT. At a rough estimate you are looking at around £500/£600 for the service, £250 for a pair of tyres and £30 MOT.

Look then at what you are likely to get on a private sale, I can quickly see a 2010 model at £4700 and a 2013 one for £5295.
    They are advertised prices, NOT sale prices, you have been offered £3,500 from a dealer and you are going to have to spend nearly £1,000 to get it roadworthy and ready for sale meaning you arguing to have to net more than £4,500 to make it worthwhile taking the private sale route. Of course there is no guarantee that you will sell it quickly and you may have to deal with tyre kickers, wasters before getting a sale.

After that gloomy outlook you may feel that it is worth selling to the dealer now and having cash in the bank straightaway, without any hassle or stress.

Best of luck with your decision

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Or sell it on here for £3500 why give the stealer the deal

Edit I don't want a tiger just saying

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Scuff

Scuff Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Uk
    As a reference, I was offered £4250 as a PX price on my 2012 XC with 4500 miles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Too hot

Too hot Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Costa del Clyde Scotchland
    Take the £3500 you don’t need any more hassle in your life right now.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I’m sorry to say but I think with the 12000 coming up and tyres etc 3500 isn’t too bad a price for a non trade in, plus the added bonus of not having to put up with time wasters, don’t get me wrong I love tigers but there’s going to be a lot on the market. You could Try it privately at just over the 4K mark and if there’s no interest go for the dealer, but is it worth the hassle?
    Best of luck

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    If it was me I’d take the dealers offer.

There’ll be less stress and hassle for you at this present time.

With the new 900 Tiger just out there could be quite a few 800’s up for sale pretty soon therefore reducing the price of secondhand 800’s.
    Add to the fact that there could be less peeps willing to splash their cash around due to covid-19.

Best of luck with your health and hopefully you make the best decision for yourself.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi SpeedingRat, I was very sorry to read your post and it's consequences. I can imagine life feels a bit shitty right now, so if I were in your shoes I would take the dealer offer - I'm assuming he's seen and examined the bike? - at least you won't have to deal with wankers messing you about. Also looking at the potential cost of making it roadworthy and saleable it is very likely that, as others have already said, you won't make a worthwhile amount more selling private.

So to summarise, take the dealer offer assuming it is genuine and still on the table, so you can move on more quickly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Adrian Braithwaite

Adrian Braithwaite Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Kirkhamgate
    So sorry to hear of your misfortune and I sincerely hope that things improve.
    Without stating the obvious, have you tried getting a price from a range of dealers as the price offered may be determined by the number of similar bikes they have in stock etc. GLWS

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Really sorry to hear your story mate :mad:. I agree with previous posts, take the dealers money.....

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Beerman

Beerman Guest

Very sorry to hear of your troubles.

On the off chance that it might be helpful - probably not - you don't need vision in both eyes to ride a motorcycle. I should know - though you do need good mirrors and sharp wits. I was able to get the mirrors...

Beerman

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    SpeedingRat
    Welcome to the family. Stay with us even if its just for the crack. The dealer is i think considering the bike and work offering a fair price considering they are just getting back to business. All depends on you how quick you want it gone and do you want tyre kickers and knobs at this time. Also if you are getting a new pad with a garage or big shed would you want it to tinker on for a while. But i agree here on the forum is really the best place to sell it. I have tried your gumtree and the likes and all you get is idiots wanting information on you. And lastly i do feel for you and your predicament.
    Regards & Stay Safe.
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
  14. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    I echo the comments from the vastly more experienced and knowledgeable riders. Take the money and concentrate on what matters most.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. SpeedingRat

SpeedingRat New Member

Jun 17, 2020
    North Essex
    #15 SpeedingRat, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all the messages, advice and support. It has been a shit time but hopefully it's going to start improving.

Charged the battery and fired the bike up this morning. Started first time and then burble, burble, burble...… almost hopped on and zoomed off :) In fact starting it has made selling it even worse.... that lovely triple exhaust sound :).

Having thought about it a bit (and particularly as it has started) I may offer it on here so that someone who appreciates it can have it. If no takers then I always have the dealer to fall back on. That way at least a little bit of good comes out of all this.

Thanks again guys

G

• Like Like x 5
  16. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    My oldest mate rides his Kettle, and has all his life. He lost an eye aged about 14.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SpeedingRat

SpeedingRat New Member

Jun 17, 2020
    North Essex
    It's on the for sale forum should anyone be interested......

18. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Whatever the outcome @SpeedingRat , best wishes for the future.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. SpeedingRat

SpeedingRat New Member

Jun 17, 2020
    North Essex
    Hi all, thanks for all your advice and kind words, the bike has now moved on to another :oops:

However, those Bonnies look the dogs danglies……..

• Like Like x 2