Advice need to replace chain and sprocket

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by pistonbloke, Mar 6, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pistonbloke

pistonbloke Member

Mar 5, 2013
    hi all, new to this forum so be gentle with me!
    Adventurer 900 triple 1999 needs some luvin.Read the haynes and do we need to do all this.Remove clutch assy ,waterpump,drain oil.Any tricks to make life easier and get me on the road again.
    Is the front sprocket an oppisite thread,left hand.
    Any advice as I am goin to change front sprocket up to 19 teeth and one down at the back 42 teeth to lower touring revs and engine noise.
    mant thanks for all the replies,try to keep them clean thanks.

2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hi welcome to the forum.

Sorry can not help on your question but hopefully another member will :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  3. pistonbloke

pistonbloke Member

Mar 5, 2013
    hi Richard- thanks mate hopfully someone will reply soon:upyeah:

4. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Same as Rich I'm afraid, I'm sure someone will be able to help
    Welcome to the forum :wink:

5. pistonbloke

pistonbloke Member

Mar 5, 2013
    many thanks jim speak soon -steve

6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Whenever I have changed my chain I just grind down 1 pin and then split the chain (get a good chain breaker).
    I then pull it through and swap... If I am changing the sprocket then its normally a hammer and screwdriver to fold back the tab and a large socket 27-32mm to get it off.. Yes I think it is reverse thread.
    I don't know the specifics of your bike but if you take a photo it may help..
    I would also check where your speedo is picked up from... If gearbox you will need a speedo healer as you will be going faster than ur speedo registers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pistonbloke

pistonbloke Member

Mar 5, 2013
    hi , yes totally agree.cant access the area without removing the clutch system / sidestand and sometimes the waterpump as everything is crammed.I have since started the job but failing due to having to order new parts / seals and gaskets(tried to avoid).The bike is in bits and so am I.The postion is started not having a leak of oil bit looks like im gaining one!The job was complete after 4 hours work but weeping oil hence the new bits.
    Anyway lets see how I get on, thanks for the reply if any body else is in this position I will pass on my experiance thanks gents.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    #8 Screwball, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    have you tried gasket sealant? Always clean area up and when installing new gasket smear a thin layer of gasket sealant on to the 2 metal surfaces and sandwich the gasket in between.. Works for me..
    Good luck as i know what you mean, you do 1 simple job and create 2 hard ones in the process.

9. pistonbloke

pistonbloke Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Hi Mate, thanks for the reply.Trying to do the job as it should be done with good triumph replacement parts but other forums imply even having stopped the leak initially one comes back after a few hundred miles.I am in the process of carring out to the letter and completing the job, lets see if i start with sucess and end in failure.Stay safe thanks steve

• Like Like x 2