Action Camera Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by HughJarse, Dec 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. HughJarse

HughJarse Well-Known Member

May 8, 2017
    Hi folks
    I have a cheap action camera, a SJCAM SJ4000 and I think it's time for an upgrade. Mine is what was called 'first batch' so it is short on features. Here are the features I'm looking for however I will not pay the money for a GoPro. I will never use it enough to warrant the cost, especially when there are alternatives that will be almost as good. As a ballpark figure I'm looking to spend under £100. I accept that I may have to make compromises.

EIS (Image Stabiliser for video).
    Wifi
    Decent battery life
    Genuine 4k video, not the 2k interpolated version.

I have looked online and there are hundreds of them available and all of them make various claims however reality usually means that some are very good and some are still rubbish, so I guess what I'm hoping for is someone who can say they have a particular one and perhaps give me a brief summary of the pros and cons of the camera they have.

Ta folks :)

2. Tony Rokins

Tony Rokins Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I bought a 2nd hand Drift Ghost S from ebay for just under £100.00 if you are able to find one at that price i'd go for it..bit like hens teeth though!,otherwise the camera Tony has looks a great buy

4. HughJarse

HughJarse Well-Known Member

May 8, 2017
  5. Recmech

Recmech New Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Pilbara Western Australia
    I have the SJCAM SJ4000 and have tried heaps of others. The one I have settled on is the ION Speed Pro which has been going strong for several years. So good in fact, I picked up an ION Air Pro 3 and an Air Pro Lite recently for a song on Ebay.
    They all have good image stabilisation but I have found the Speed Pro is the best.
    The thing I like best is the one switch to turn it on and start filming and the same to pause. The camera vibrates twice when turned on and once when turned off, both of which you can easily feel through the helmet. They are also one of the few to have an external microphone jack so I put a mic under the seat to record engine noise but no wind. Makes for great videos.

https://uk.ioncamera.com/air-pro-3/

[​IMG]

Thumbs Up.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I am using Drift Ghost X. They are about £120. Seems decent by doing the job for recording incidents on the road. The best thing is the battery life of 4 hours and can be extended to even longer by buying a bigger battery. The mic does get wind noise but if you cover it with a foam might be ok.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Am i right in saying you can't replace the battery with a spare one once it needs charged up?

8. Recmech

Recmech New Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Pilbara Western Australia
    No, due to the fact that it is waterproof out of the box, you can't swap over batteries. It is more of an action cam than dash cam but I get 3 to 4 hours filming from it, which does what I need. I have the INNOVV K2 system for filming idiots on the road.
    You get what you pay for and at 100 pounds for full 4K, you're bordering on top end rubbish and bottom end quality in my opinion

9. Watty2016

Watty2016 Active Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Dorridge
    Hi I have just seen your original thread and thought I would mention that I am just about to put a GoPro Hero 4 Silver with loads of extra accessories on fleabay, but thought I would drop you a note to give you first refusal as I would rather sell to a fellow triumph rider. In great condition and spare batteries, mounts, remote, straps etc.

I was looking for £110 including postage if you are interested?

Cheers

10. David Gower

David Gower Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Warminster, Wiltshire, Uk
    Thats a shame about the wind noise. I actually thought the X had twin microphones like my 4K. I had to check .. They must use the same casing ...

11. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I have a GoPro hero 3, which is ok but dated.
    Also a ThiEYE (t5 I think) good picture, easy to use. Sound is s##t though.
    I also have a GoPro hero 7 black, I know you said you wouldn’t pay that much (I wouldn’t, but it was a gift)
    But it is awesome.
    I’ve heated the Sony fdr is good, but GoPro price.

12. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I have a GoPro hero 3, which is ok but dated.
    Also a ThiEYE (t5 I think) good picture, easy to use. Sound is s##t though.
    I also have a GoPro hero 7 black, I know you said you wouldn’t pay that much (I wouldn’t, but it was a gift)
    But it is awesome.
    I’ve heated the Sony fdr is good, but GoPro price.
    So for £100 (with extra battery’s) I would say the ThiEYE, sound shouldn’t matter if your using it on the bike.

13. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Well, after weeks of dithering I've just bought one of these for £99 new from an Amazon Marketplace seller. It does seem rather cheap, so I'll be hoping for the best in terms of it being brand new and complete (and hopefully sealed).

I do like the simplicity of it, and also like the idea of placing an external mic under the seat (thanks @Recmech). More when it arrives!

14. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    there is a thread for putting up any of your own videos,it would be good to see the quality,also it would be interesting to see what the battery life is like, they say you will get 2.5 hours but i've found you never get what the camera manufacturers say you get:(..https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/your-own-you-tube-videos-post-them-here.13439/#post-179030

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Sunslap

Sunslap New Member

Feb 2, 2019
    I know I'm a little late to reply, but just a reminder that if you have a bike with the new LCD display, it will be getting support to control GoPro's very soon(VIA flash from dealer) from the joystick as well as Google maps via your phone's internet connection. I have a 2018 Street Triple RS and just upgraded my SJ4000 with a Hero 7 Black since it will integrate with the bike(not to mention the new built in stabilization is absurdly good). Just a thought...Update should be soon since it is slated to arrive with the 1200 scrambler. Otherwise, I would've gone with a lower priced Amazon option since I had good luck with my SJCAM, but I'm actually really happy with Gopro, even given the price.