ACF50??

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by SamC, Apr 3, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SamC

SamC Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Hereford
    Over the years of owning bikes I've never used acf50, does anyone use it and what are your thoughts?

2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    well it keeps the rust and erosion at bay. use it on my old girl all the time

• Like Like x 2
  3. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
    I bought a can and sprayed some straight on the bike, to me it looked too thick and gloopy (probably me putting too much on) it actually picked up dirt and crap from the road too so I washed it off and thought 'not doing that again'. A mate of mine has his bike done with it but reckons it should be as a 'mist' rather than a full on spray from the can. Certainly has kept his bike corrosion free so it must work if it's done right I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#4 MrOrange, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016
    Bloody great stuff.:D

The bottle and pump dispenser are better than the aerosol, but it's more expensive. Wash bike thoroughly then spray up high and let it 'dribble' down and over everything, then put some nitrile gloves on and get a 5" square of cloth and use this to wipe up the 'mess' and spread it all around the bike. Add more to any nooks you need to and as you need to spread it around. You need very little and it goes a very long way. Don't just spray on and leave-will result in sticky mess. If you can get the bike on paddock stands and whip the wheels off - even better.

Does take a bit of doing, but will last for months if done properly. I just wash mine and spray over with muc-off bike protector between applications. Do mine at the end of the season following a good thorough clean and will do once more during the season, maybe after a long dirty tour where haven't had chance to wash the bike. If the cloth is not too filthy, place in a clip lock bag and use just to 'touch up' between full applications and when it comes time for 2nd time, you have a cloth soaked already!

Oh' mask of discs and foorpegs, etc with bits of cloth ;)

The best way is with a compressor and an old spray gun, but can be done as above.

All three of my bikes have been traded in with no corrosion anywhere. Even my Suzuki SV650 (known for poor finish) looked like new and the sales guy had a touble take when i told him it had 24k miles on it. Only SV i ever saw without rear shock looking like it spent time undersea !!!!

My old Gixxer 20k in all weathers

• Like Like x 3
  5. SamC

SamC Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Hereford
    Thanks guys

6. SamC

SamC Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Hereford
    Thanks for that, very helpful. she's had her eyes on the t100 since i've had my street twin so who knows!! i think i may even sell the fireblade

7. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    +1 to MrOrange-great stuff!

8. SamC

SamC Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Hereford
    I know! It's a great bike and it will be a very reluctant sale, but I think I need to be realistic, paying out two taxes and insurances is just a waste, and with the money I get from the sale I can buy the extra bits I want for the street twin......

• Like Like x 1
  9. SamC

SamC Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Hereford
    I'm hoping so :) if I get all the official bits I want from triumph it comes to £2100 but that includes wheels and exhaust so not to bad

10. SamC

SamC Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Hereford
    I shudder to think what the ogling stuff is going to cost but we will cross that bridge when we get to it

11. SamC

SamC Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Hereford
    ohlins*****

12. James ellerby

James ellerby Active Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Manchester
    sprayed my wife with ACF50 she would kick me teeth in !!

13. James ellerby

James ellerby Active Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Manchester
    I bought a tin just before I bought my scrambler and just sprayed the crap out it as its was snowing and salty at the time and didn't want to risk it.

it does attract the crap like, mike in places is quite thick with black where it has pick up road dirt

I am hoping a sensible wash and some muck off will sort it

I would recommend the tin unless like me you had limited options

14. Yaya rider

Yaya rider Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Essex
    Still got my T100 for sale....just saying!! haha. Make sure you announce your blade on here if you come to selling it, that's one of my options! My dad's already got an old 900RR, and it's very tempted to get the evolution!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. STIFFLER

STIFFLER Senior Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Shropshire
    Hi Sam,Im a bit late with this but ACF50 is Awesome stuff!!! Rumour has it that its origins are in the aircraft industry. Stops wing internals rusting up etc.

Not cheap as im sure you have found out by now but i dont know of a better product as yet.....

• Like Like x 1
  16. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yes - origins in the Aero Space Industry and apparently used by the US Navy to protect aircraft from corrosion on their carriers. Easily copes with your average British winter.

• Like Like x 1