Sprint ABS on an '06 ST 1050

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Byker_Groves, Jul 20, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Byker_Groves

Byker_Groves New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Hi guys. I've just bought myself an ST 1050 and I love everything about it except the ABS system.

I have no idea if it is just how the system is but it seems so jerky and intrusive.

You pull the lever even slightly and you can feel the ABS letting the brake on and off even though there is zero chance of a lock up and not only does it give me no confidence in my braking but when it comes in causes the front end to shake about and makes me feel like it's more likely to make me have an accident than prevent one.

I was just wondering if this sounds familiar to anybody else or if it sounds like I might have a fault, I've never ridden a bike with ABS before so I have nothing to compare it too.

My second question is if this is just how the systems works and it's something I have to get used to is there any way of toning it down in severity? I know other bikes have various modes of ABS and TCS so that you can get them to back off, does the ST have anything like this?

Thanks for reading and I hope somebody can help me because it's so close to being the perfect bike for me.

2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hi and welcome to the forum. The ABS on an 06 Sprint could be classed as crude by the standards on new bikes now but I would be surprised it was cutting in under light braking and in my opinion it is not the ABS causing the issue but warped front discs.
    I say this because I have a Speed Triple ABS and the brakes are fantastic and have never managed to get the ABS to step in yet but after a long trip around Scotland I developed an issue where I got pulsing when braking which got worse and worse, traced to warped discs in the end.
    I would get the brakes checked out at a dealer as it is such a safety issue.

The Sprint 1050 is a great bike; better than the GT still being made in my opinion and good luck with sorting it.

3. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    Hello and welcome the the forum.