Abby Is A Hero!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Fork Lock, May 16, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    #1 Fork Lock, May 16, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022
    My youngest daughter, Abigail, works full time as a clerk at a law firm, but has a part time job at a local deli on weekends. The kid is a hustler! On Saturday, April 22, she was at the deli, which is on a major highway, when she heard a crash outside. She went out to find a customer turning into the shop had left-turned a motorcycle, causing a crash. The bike was on fire and the rider had been thrown about twenty-five feet from the point of impact. Abby, a former Emergency Medical Technician, took over the scene. She called 911. Several bystanders gathered. She directed two people to handle traffic. She sent another into the shop for a fire extinguisher. She then tended to the rider who was pretty badly busted up. She palpated the rider, who was unconscious, and found he was carrying a handgun. A further check found his wallet. He was an off-duty police officer. Another bystander came over and tried to remove the rider's helmet. Abby blocked his efforts and held stabilization until the police and local emergency squad arrived. She advised the officers of the firearm so they could secure it. The rider was air-lifted to the trauma center in Camden.

Here's the kicker. She never told us about this. We all went to dinner that night. My wife and I, Abby and my other two daughters, went to celebrate my middle daughter's five-year anniversary of beating cancer. We were chatting with the waitress, and she mentioned there was a motorcycle accident on Route 30 and said she heard a young girl that works at the deli where it happened had saved a guy's life. Abby, rather non-chalantly, said, "Oh, that was me." WHAT?! She blew it off saying she didn't really do anything life-saving. She just held stabilization on the rider in the event he had a serious neck or back injury. Well girl, at the very least you might prevented him from being paralyzed!

She got a call from the mayor's office this week and was asked to attend a council meeting by Zoom. They gave the kid an award. Nice gesture.

Hero.PNG

• Like Like x 19
  2. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona

Wow, Abby IS a hero, @Fork Lock! What an amazing daughter you have. She sounds very special--calm, smart, modest. Good for her...and especially good for the motorcyclist. Have you heard how he's doing?

Also, how wonderful to be able to celebrate your middle daughter's five-year anniversary of beating cancer! That five year mark is an especially big one--as I know you are well aware. My mom made that five year mark back in her mid-30's and lived until she was in her late 70's when she died a non-cancer death. Cancer can be beaten!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    I have not heard how the rider fared, but I'm sure I would have heard had the worst happened.

I have three amazing daughters, all productive members of society, despite having been reared by my wife and me. They were somehow able to overcome this handicap.

My middle one, Faith, was engaged in the summer of 2015. She was diagnosed with breast cancer two months later. Her fiancé, God bless him, stayed with her through a year of pure Hell. Chemo, double mastectomy, reconstructive surgery, the whole nine yards. They married in 2016. She still had the chemo port on her upper chest when I walked her down the aisle. Thank the Lord, she hit the five-year, cancer-free mark.

Abby
    Abby NRA.jpeg

Faith & Dave
    F&D.PNG

LauraLea - The Rock Star
    LL.PNG

• Like Like x 11
    • Love You Love You x 1
  4. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Great girls you’ve raised . A credit to you and your wife no doubt Fork Lock.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    What a hero Abby is! You have a fantastic family there Fork Lock, you must be so proud. You sure those girls are really related to you?:grinning:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    Pretty sure. Although, the wife does seem to have the pool boy, Fabio, over an awful lot.

And we don't even have a pool.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Lou160487

Lou160487 Senior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Florida U.S.A
    A chip off the old fork lock

• Like Like x 1
  8. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    She is indeed a hero - you have done a great job bringing up your family.

• Agree Agree x 1