765 Abba Or...?

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by learningtofly, Nov 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I pick up my new Triple next week, and one of the things I want to do fairly immediately is pick up a decent stand for it. At the moment I'm thinking Abba - for ease of use as much as anything else - but are there any alternatives that you fine people consider to be superior?

My main concern is the ease of getting the bike on and off the stand, more that quality of construction, as my assumption is that any of the decent brands are fit for purpose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    With my Speed Triple I have a paddock stand for quick servicing, chain, oil etc
    But if I need to lift the front or do some more serious work I use the Abba Sky Lift. Costly but worth it
    The adapters make it perfect and secure for the bike, I can get both wheels off the ground and work on the bike at a decent height (I am 6ft and don't like back ache)
    I can literally strip the bike to its frame

Hope this helps

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    It does help, thank you, and I guess the alternative in terms of functionality would be two paddock stands (so presumably a not hugely dissimilar cost overall).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    ABBA is great for all round maintenance but a bit of a faff for using as everyday stand in my opinion, I have normal paddock stand & bobbins for normal use. A word of warning when using ABBA on the 765, there are little grommets inside the spindle that the covers bolt to, be careful to use the correct kit or you will dislodge them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks for that, and noted. It would only be for occasional maintenance (chain, etc) so I don't want to go overboard. Maybe a simple paddock stand would suffice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    If that’s all you need it for I would tend to agree. The ABBA stand is brilliant if you remove front wheel regularly, even better if you do a lot of your own maintenance as forks & rear shock can be removed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    My thoughts for what they're worth ... which is pretty much what you paid for them!

No single stand is ever likely to do everything you might, ultimately, want it to do, so whatever you buy will inevitably be a compromise somewhere along the line.

I've got a 3 or 4 'regular' paddock stands of various makes/types and almost always find them more than a little nerve wracking to use (I'm only a wee fella and not exactly a musclebound youth!) though I guess my apprehension does little to make the task in hand easier. It's probably all a matter of practice. AHEM!

I've also got two "1Jac" stands with fittings for the Street Triples (mine and hers) and they are the business! Expensive - for sure - but VERY well designed and made (in this country) and almost certainly the original and progenitor for Constands and a myriad other Chinese knock-off copies. I did try one of the Constands thinking I would save myself a few pounds if I bought two of those but I returned it, at considerable expense, after building but before using it as it just didn't "feel" very well made to me. Personal and subjective, I know.

The 1Jacs (et al) have a couple of advantages over other, regular paddock stands - the bike is fully mobile when lifted; both wheels are clear of the ground and free to turn; you can turn the bike through 360 degrees in little more than its own length and it is very stable on the lift. In terms of ease of I personally think it has advantages over a separate front or rear stand in that the bike is leaning towards you as you engage the stand lugs rather than being balanced upright. I don't know if it's still there but there used to be a short video clip on the 1Jac web site of the inventor/designer at a bike show lifting a sportsbike up onto the stand; spinning the bike around then standing full weight on the 'outside' footpeg - all in the space of about 30 seconds! One of the reasons behind buying the two 1Jacs was that the space in my garage is restricted and my wife is not comfortable with wheeling a bike backwards so the idea of ride in; lift; spin; lower and ride out was very attractive. She can manage to put the bike up on the 1Jac but, I have to admit, is still nervous about it. Finally, if you change the bike you can simply buy another adaptor kit

I've got no association whatsoever with 1Jac, other than as a very satisifed (if broke!) customer.

A possible alternative is this one http://www.monntek.co.uk

If that's of any interest the owner is willing to give a 15% discount to members of street-triple.co.uk forum.

Good luck with your choice.

Regards,

Adie

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks so much for that - both stands look good, but the 1jac certainly does seem fantastic. As a matter of interest, how do you locate it properly under the bike - for the life of me I can't work it out from the video?

10. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    You're very welcome.

Location under the bike? Simple, really - it's on very good, double wheeled castors. The legs that extend outwards away from you are simply wheeled under the bike, there is a "pin" that engages partially into the supplied receiver socket (which replaces a nut on the bike) and a cup on the stand that engages with a large frame nut. Once they're engaged pull a spring loaded pin on the stand, rotate the larger handle; the bike lifts and leans outwards slightly as it comes up (a sphincter opening experience at first!) and the lift handle then locks into position once the lift has reached full travel.

I'm not sure that's explained it very well but it used to be shown pretty clearly on the 1Jac web site. Worst case scenario I'll video it (if I can clear enough space in my workkshop!!) and whatsapp it to you? Might not be immediate, though!!

If you are interested in the 1Jac I can advise on how to get a small discount!

Regards,

Adie

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    That would be fantastic if you manage to find the time, Adie - thanks very much indeed.

12. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Will do - but it won't be for a couple of days owing to work commitments, I'm afraid.

In the meantime, this might make it clearer :-

That's the inventor/designer/maker doing the demo. He's no racing snake but is absolutely confident that a steel pin less than an inch in diameter (I'm guessing) is capable of supporting the weight of him and the 'Blade. Works for me.

I'll pm you when I have something to send.

Adie

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    By the way, I did mean to say that I am looking to buy an Abba stand - preferably good condition used - so I'm not knocking them at all. In fact I had my Street Triples serviced by Clive WOOD earlier this year and he was using a very well worn Abba stand. I was really impressed by the practicality of the Abba stand, especially when used in conjunction with a lift table and, since my 1Jacs are set up solely for the ST3s I was thinking that the Abba would be a practical choice for a quick lift exercise on any of the other bikes I have.

The other thing to say, by way of a cautionary note, is that the 1Jac does need some assembly and careful setting up to get it to work properly and lift both wheels clear. I'd suggest allowing at least an hour to do it properly. I had trouble setting mine up, initially, but the suppport service from the company is superb. They even tried to find a customer local to me to see if I could contact them - in the end they got me some excellent photographs from a young lady in Scotland explaining how her 1Jacs were set up. Hmmmm .... that, somehow, just doesn't sound right, does it? Sorry.

Adie

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    I had my old Fireblade roll off a rear paddock stand whilst I was servicing it, it was an expensive lesson so since then I’ve always used an ABBA stand. They pop up used on eBay and Gumtree for about £50. the adaptors are about £16.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Adie P
    That's the manufacturing owner doing the demo, Gary Broadley. He's no racing snake ...... lol but a nice guy.

Adie[/QUOTE]

16. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #15 learningtofly, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    I did actually pick up an Abba stand at the NEC. I haven’t used it yet but when I clean the bike next week I’ll do the chain as well, and it’ll see some action then :scream:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Just a word of caution mate, make sure you get the adaptors the right way round, I didn't and fooked the little grommet that holds the swinging arm pivot cover in place on the nearside.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    If you’re only using the stand for one bike then just tape the adapters in with some electrical tape.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Last year I intended to buy the front lift kit from them at the NEC, they were so bloody rude and disinterested, I bought it elsewhere.

20. Clive Harris

Clive Harris New Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Portchester
    Abba with front wheel lift bar , well made and worth every penny

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I had a 1jac but decided to sell it when I got the 765. I offered it to a good mate who does track days and he has a 675. He said he'd always got on with a pair of sturdy paddock stands so refused it.
    I copied him and as @Bad Billy said about convenience whether it's washing it off or a simple chain check and lube paddock stands seem very easy and versatile.

• Agree Agree x 1