Featured Rideout A Sunday Morning Ride To A Favorite Breakfast Joint - Almost Felt Pre-covid

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Sandi T, Aug 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #1 Sandi T, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Just up the road from Tucson about 30 miles lies the little town of Oracle which is home to one of our favorite breakfast restaurants--the Oracle Patio Cafe & Market. This place is a regular choice for breakfast when we're doing our Sunday morning group ride. But our group rides are on hiatus thanks to the pandemic. :(

Today Mr. Sandi and I rode up to Oracle, just the two of us, and had a lovely morning of riding, eating, and relaxing on the patio. Breakfast is currently only being served outdoors thanks to COVID. But the patio is where we usually choose to eat anyway because it's such a lovely spot. There's an independent motorcycle repair shop right next door and the owner lets us park in front on Sundays since he's closed that day.
    IMG_9397.jpeg

The Oracle Patio Cafe used to be an old house so the interior is composed of little rooms. In the winter when our group ride stops for breakfast here, we call ahead and they set up a big table for us in one of the back rooms. There's a cool little market with local produce and products in the front of the place and they also make great scones, coconut macaroons, and PIES! :):yum I usually eat one of their scones with my breakfast but today I got one "to go" to save for a treat tomorrow.
    IMG_9400.jpeg

On the left side of this daily specials board, everything from Key Lime on down is pie. :) For my "to go" scone this morning I chose the strawberry banana version. For a very small town, the food here is quite upscale and most everything is homemade. And absolutely delicious!
    IMG_9410.jpeg

Because of COVID, customers were being asked to go around the side rather than get to the patio though the restaurant. Even so, the staff still made us feel as welcome as ever. And they were all wearing masks. :mask: As were we--until we ate, of course.
    IMG_9415.jpeg

The town of Oracle is about 2,000 ft. higher in elevation than Tucson so it's always cooler there than where we live. So even when the temperatures in Tucson are scorching, the patio here is nearly always quite comfortable. In the winter it's actually too cold to sit outdoors so we always elect to eat inside. Typically on Sunday mornings there's a musician who sings and plays guitar but unfortunately, again thanks to COVID, that's not happening. But were glad to see enough customers that it seems this restaurant will make it though the pandemic--hopefully.
    IMG_9404.jpeg

The Oracle Patio Cafe is known for its pies. I've always gotten a chuckle out of the servers tee shirts. :)
    IMG_9425.jpeg

For breakfast today I had the green chili, corn, tomato, and pepper jack quiche. And BACON!! :grinning::heart: Mr. Sandi ordered their chili relleno with eggs and potatoes. The food was terrific--as good or even better than ever! :yum They have great coffee, too. They've always served the food and drink with nice serving ware but now they're using paper plates and cups (yeah, COVID).
    IMG_9432.jpeg

IMG_9435.jpeg

Today's ride was a simple out and back. Usually we continue on after breakfast and take a beautiful hilly and twisty road that's on the back side of Mt. Lemmon which adds probably another 25-30 miles or so. But I'm still slowly working my mileage back up after being off my bikes for seven months so we (well, I) elected to leave off the extra dog leg on this day's ride. Today was my longest day back in the saddle since my first ride back two weeks ago. It feels SO GREAT to be riding again!!!!! :heart_eyes:
    Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 12.59.36 PM.png

Tucked safely back in the garage--66 miles on the day. A far cry from the back to back 500+ mile days we did just one year ago on our Sturgis trip. But you know what? Never again will I take ANY miles for granted. I feel grateful and blessed to be able to hop on my Speed Triple and hit the road with my hubby on a leisurely Sunday morning. :blush::heart:
    IMG_9443.jpeg

I'm going to add a few more photos in second post in this thread. There are these fun metal sculptures made by two local artists that are scattered around the patio. They definitely add to the charm of this space. :)

• Like Like x 17
  2. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #2 Sandi T, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    There are two metal artists that live in Oracle and display some of their work. It's all for sale so we never quite know what metal "creatures" will be living on the patio when we show up for breakfast. Here's todays menagerie. :)

IMG_9419.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 4.55.59 PM.png

IMG_9417.jpeg

IMG_9407.jpeg

IMG_9404.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 4.59.54 PM.png

Not a creature but a lovely little rock fountain....
    IMG_9420.jpeg

• Like Like x 15
  3. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Great to hear you're enjoying being back on your bike so much and loving your long posts and pictures. You're absolutely right about enjoying every mile. No road goes on forever.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Great write up and pic's as always @Sandi T. Yes Oracle is a nice place I always took the opportunity to go over MT Lemmon way just for the hell of it wonderful place.

• Like Like x 2
  5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Another good write up with pictures Sandi.
    Managed to match your blue sky here in Brighton yesterday!
    20200816_181929_copy_2016x1512.jpg
    This is Madeira Drive running along the seafront below the promenade at the top. Now closed to traffic and in a sad state of neglect. Brighton was the scene of the somewhat media exaggerated clashes between Mods and Rockers in the 1960's.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Is the vintage car rally from London to Brighton still a thing?

7. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Been looking and listening to the torrential rain here and this certainly cheered up my day, thanks! :) It's also made me feel very hungry, time to fix up some lunch I think...

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yes it is and this year it's been scheduled for 1st November but the annual speed trials and Brightonia (big bike meet up) have been cancelled this year due to the poxy virus! :(

9. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    As with so many other things at moment, "next year..." is the mantra. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I'm so glad you're enjoying my posts and photos, Octoberon! I enjoy sharing stories and pics. :)

You are so right about no road going on forever. I was thinking about just that yesterday during our ride. This has been such a difficult and painful year for so many people. Many have lost loved ones and friends, jobs, homes, health.

As cruddy as 2020 has been, truly realizing that no road goes on forever has been this years silver lining for me. I've gained more perspective. This year has knocked me in the head with these reminders: To be grateful each day for the things that I have vs. regrets for what I don't. To understand that each day is a gift to be lived mindfully. To appreciate the beauty of good memories. The value of ones health--physical and mental. And most of all, to cherish loved ones and friends in word and deed during the time we have together on this planet. "No road goes on forever". That's a good reminder mantra, Octoberon. Thank you.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Don! :kissing: You know, I've never been up (or down) the unpaved back road on Lemmon. I've friends who mountain bike it, some who do it on their ADV motorcycles, and a couple buddies who Jeep it. I'm sure it's gorgeous! Did you know there's now a zip line up there?! Although I love zip lines and have done them, I've not (yet) done the one near Oracle on the backside of Lemmon. But a riding buddy did it with his wife and loved it. :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That is a gorgeous blue sky, steve! Glad you got some sun. :sun: I try to never take our for granted, even when it's 107º F. :cool:

Very interesting that this area is where the famous (or infamous) Mods and Rockers frays took place. I've also been fascinated by that history. I enjoyed learning about that Rockers history when I was drawn to cafe racers in my early years of riding.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Don the Don

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    On one occasion I spent several hours on MT Lemmon talking to an old Vietnam vet an old guy with a ponytail and a story to tell, we chewed the fat [as we say] and just talked and talked and shared a few drinks we put the world to right that day I always remember that encounter and have always given time to old ones with a good tale to tell.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Well, at least you didn't go out for a ride without your jacket, Bikerman. ATGATT and safety first! ;):):joy:

Glad you're continuing to enjoy my rideout reports. :kissing_heart: I do enjoy sharing them and think that in some way, sharing my rides and accompanying experiences with others helps me appreciate them even more.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Did you have some bacon with your lunch, brown mouse?! :joy::yum

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    A mouth wateringly. Delectable write up, Sandi T; Thanks,Ken.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #17 Sandi T, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    This morning we rode up to Catalina for breakfast again this time joined by four riding buddies. It felt good to ride with a group again. :) We ate at the same place that Mr. Sandi and I ate at last week, the Oracle Patio Cafe. The owners and staff are so delightful and are rolling with the punches keeping a restaurant afloat during a pandemic. They are still not seating anyone indoors so all patrons are outdoors on the patio. There was one other motorcycle group there when we arrived along with a couple of two tops, but overall it was fairly quiet. Here's our group--minus one who was called home by his wife to help attend to a canine emergency. :(

IMG_9551.jpeg

This "trailer" was sitting about a half block from the restaurant. Pretty unique and creative! :grinning:And, hey, @Duckadiledundee, based on your posts about your helmet search and helmet size, this one may do the trick! ;)
    IMG_9546.jpeg

Here's one of our good friends and favorite riding buddies sporting his Notorious RBG face mask. :joy: For those of you who may not have heard of RBG, that's Ruth Bader Ginsburg, U.S. Supreme Court Justice. :)
    IMG_9553.jpeg
    IMG_9552.jpeg

After breakfast we added the extra dogleg that I mentioned last week. This loop adds about 20 miles to our total ride which today wound up being about 80 miles. My longest ride since my bicycle accident and, for now, long enough. I had to draw a line on the road that is the most fun part of this loop because it's a twisty, hilly little two lane back road with hardly any traffic that doesn’t even show up on Google Maps. Today we didn't see even one car on this stretch! :grinning:

Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 5.16.48 PM.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Don the Don

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Great pic's and report as alway''s @Sandi T.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @Don the Don! I know some of these places around Tucson are familiar to you and bring back memories of Arizona. So you might also like a thread I started yesterday with pics from a ride I did Saturday up to Catalina State Park. :sun: It's in the "Rideout, Trackdays, Touring, and Spotted" Forum. Enjoy! :)

image.png

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @Bikerman! You are so right--there's just not much of anything that's better than a great ride out with great friends. Even with all that's going on in the world these days, life is good. :):heart:

• Agree Agree x 1