A Sat Nav Question......anyone Else Experienced This?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by FellZebra, May 14, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. FellZebra

FellZebra First Class Member

Mar 9, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    I've got a Garmin Zumo 660 for use on the Explorer which has been a great bit of kit.
    The problem it's got now is that it's difficult to read in bright sunlight. This didn't used to be a problem, in the past I've used it on very bright sunny days and it's been dead easy to read, it's as though it's screen brightness has deteriorated recently.
    I've been into settings and the screen brightness is set to 100% and I'd also tried return to factory settings from the menu and is still the same.
    Has this happened to anyone else?
    For info it's approximately 9 years old, what sort of life expectancy would you expect from one of these?

2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    9 years old is getting on for prehistoric in tech terms... probably time for a new one.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    If you decide to buy a new sat nav. I can highly recommend the Garmin XT, it's everything that prople say it is. Brilliant.
    My mate bought the Tomtom top of the range one, and has regretted it ever since. He wished he'd bought the Garmin instead. Sportsbike Shop if you do decide to buy one. Good luck whatever you decide

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    I think you can buy anti-glare screens for them. Have a google for them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fzr162

fzr162 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Keighley west yorkSHIRE
    I have a TomTom rider and I love it. Clear well timed instructions through my intercom, plenty of info, different routes and easy to use.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Noble Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    I have noticed more glare on my Zumo 660 since fitting to my RP using the evotech mount. I’m thinking it’s just a slightly different angle than it was on my Super 10. I have ordered an anti glare screen for it. I’ll see if that makes any difference.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FellZebra

FellZebra First Class Member

Mar 9, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Yes, I’m aware that things move on quickly. I was just hoping to get a bit more use from it

I’ve been happy with Garmin and would definitely keep with them when buying another. I’ve also used Garmin GPS watches for running for years, I like their stuff.
    And yes I’ve found Sportsbikeshop excellent service

I’m aware of anti glare screens but I think that there’s something amiss with the unit as I didn’t used to have a problem seeing it on bright days. Could be worth a try though if they’re inexpensive, I’ll have a look

Thanks for sharing but as my comment above I think I’ll be going with Garmin again when replacing