A Sad Day

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Baben, Nov 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Baben

Baben Active Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Watton
    Well, I have owned my Sport for three years, longer than I have ever hung on to a bike before but in two weeks it will be PXd for a Yamaha 700 Tracer.
    Why? I hear you cry.
    I love the motor and handling of the Sport - it is superb in every respect but there are some huge buts....
    The weight. It is top heavy which makes it even heavier when pushing it around the garage. It eats tyres, chains, sprockets and brake pads. It is horrendously expensive to service and the intervals are poor considering it is a modern machine. I don't trust my local dealer.
    I am sadly doing what everyone does, get older at one year a year and so I want something lighter but still fun and able to do the long tours I enjoy. The Tracer meets this requirement.
    Another Triumph lies in the future but right now they don't make a bike I want to buy.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    In my defence your honours I do still own a Street Triple but I must say my Yamaha is a better stock bike (for the money) than any Triumph i've owned. :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    In my defence your honours, I've had a few expensive and not always great bikes with the triumph badge on the side, then I took a look around and found it is 2019 and there are bikes that are lighter, more character, better fuel consumption and better handling, less expensive to buy, less expensive on consumables, so that I can afford to still enjoy myself on a bike.

And long may that continue.............................;

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Baben

Baben Active Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Watton
    Reassuring to know I won't get tarred and feathered....

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Baden
    Enjoy your new bike. But sorry if dozers Dad said tarred and feathered then tarred and feathered it has to be. Don't worry I will look after your bike till you are better again. Don't forget our picture. And a big and don't leave us.
    Regards And ride Safe.
    Joe

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

I shifted my Legend for a Yamaha... still miss the affectionate old girl but even if the big T started to build the bike of my dreams now... I couldn’t afford the bugger... so just be happy with what you can afford and suits your riding! (The tar and feathers start to come off after a week!)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Forgive my curiosity

‘It eats tyres, chains, sprockets and brake pads’ - what sort of appetite over how many miles? (And which tyres?)