A Lot Of Steam Coming Out The Front

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Van S, Aug 6, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Van S

Van S Member

Jul 5, 2017
    London UK
    #1 Van S, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Hey everyone maybe somebody can help me!

So I was riding in the rain the other day and it was considerably hard rain. When all of a sudden when I stopped at the lights and was idle i noticed a very thick white steam/smoke coming from the front of my bike?!
    I'm wondering if anyone else has this on theirs? The bikes still under warranty but I still have to say I'm worried!
    I ride a 2017 Speed Triple R.

Any comments would be a great help!

2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Sounds like a cooling system issue.
    May be worth taking it in to get checked out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Van S

Van S Member

Jul 5, 2017
    London UK
    I thought that, but the temperature on the bike is fine? It's not overheating?
    It's annoying because I know it's not something the shop will be able to look at straight away.

4. Van S

Van S Member

Jul 5, 2017
    London UK
    Thats what the guys at Daytona motorcycles in Ruislip said. Not sure though. Just thought if there was anyone else on here that possible encountered the same thing.
    Not going to lie but it has me worried haha

5. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    #5 MickEng, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Still worth having documented with them though whilst still under warranty.
    Do you have a manual ? Worth looking to see if there is a pressure release valve in the cooling system.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Van S

Van S Member

Jul 5, 2017
    London UK
    Literally only get it when the bike is soaking wet. So when the heavy rain came down in London on Saturday. And also when I got the bike cleaned at car wash. And then as soon as the bike dries up it isn't there anymore!

7. Van S

Van S Member

Jul 5, 2017
    London UK
    I'm off tomorrow. Going to take a trip up to the shop and see if they will maybe explain to me if that's okay or not.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  8. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    #8 MickEng, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Has the bike been sprayed with Scottoiler FS365 or similar ?
    That can throw off a bit of fancy steam from the engine.

Be careful using car washes and power jets, it can lead to all sorts of nasty electrical faults.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Van S

Van S Member

Jul 5, 2017
    London UK
    Well since I've had it I haven't used that.
    From what I'm reading on other forums it's a normal thing for the steam... but just to be sure I'll 100% be taking a trip to the shop. Last thing I wanted to do on my birthday if I'm honest haha

10. Van S

Van S Member

Jul 5, 2017
    London UK
    Yeah I will be going there tomorrow... It's still under warranty anyway so no sweat! I hope they can take a quick look, sometimes these places can be very funny about giving you a quick opinion!

11. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Don't be shy about asking for a courtesy bike.
    That may speed them up a bit.
    Oh and many happy returns for tomorrow.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Van S

Van S Member

Jul 5, 2017
    London UK
    Thanks mick.
    Always super helpful on here really appreciate it!

• Like Like x 1
  13. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    When I wash my tiger I usually put the hose on the back of the rad to wash any bugs etc stuck in the front, this gets loads of water between the fins and when first started it steams like crazy. You are probably getting a run off of water onto your rad, which is obviously hot, if it was happening on a dry bike I'd be worried. If coolant levels haven't dropped I don't think there's a problem

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Steam on a wet day after riding and stopping.....i would not be worried. On a dry day i would panic .

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Chewie

Chewie Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Melbourne Australia
    On a trip recently with a couple of other speedies, through some filthy weather and had the same steam issues as well as after parking the bike to fill up with fuel at least a cup or two of water ran on to the ground at the front of the bike. The steam didn't worry me but the water running out did, until I found it happened to one of the others as well. Seems the steam is a common issue. Maybe water is getting caught up while riding in the rain, then runs down over the headers when you stop. If you are not losing coolant...you have nothing to worry about.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. oi-nobbie

oi-nobbie New Member

Jan 21, 2017
    north london
    mines a 2016 Speed Triple R nothing to worry about...... had mine 2days and got caught in a down pour...i thought i'd holed the radiator !!! the amount of steam really freaked me out,,,just one of them things .....maybe a design feature to put off of using her on rainy days!![/QUOTE]

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Van S

Van S Member

Jul 5, 2017
    London UK
    [/QUOTE]
    Went to the dealer.
    They said it was fine and even came out and checked the coolant level and stuff like that.
    So yeah basically it's normal which is good to know haha, I got so worried!

• Like Like x 1
  18. oi-nobbie

oi-nobbie New Member

Jan 21, 2017
    north london
    Went to the dealer.
    They said it was fine and even came out and checked the coolant level and stuff like that.
    So yeah basically it's normal which is good to know haha, I got so worried![/QUOTE]
    know what you mean .... better safe than sorry though

• Like Like x 2
  19. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Sounds pretty normal to me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Aye, pretty normal chap, on my 2016 Speedie R, and on my old 2010 SE, whenever I stopped at lights water would 'fall' forward onto the headers and radiator and a cloud of steam comes up, mists up the clocks, paintwork and visor.

It is actually quite a sight when a plume erupts from the front, some of the faces from car drivers when they see the steam billow out from the bike is quite entertaining - they think it is about to explode.

just give the area a hose down with fresh water when you get home (hen the bike has cooled) to get rid of the crap from the road.

If you suspect coolant is leaking from the radiator, you would more than likely get wet boots and would be obvious on dry days.

• Useful Useful x 1