Featured A Life’s Lesson

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Wessa, Jun 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    A boat was docked in a tiny Mexican fishing village.

A tourist complimented the local fishermen on the quality of their fish and... asked how long it took to catch them.

"Not very long" they answered in unison.

"Why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?"

The fishermen explained that their small catches were sufficient to meet their needs and those of their families.

"But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

"We sleep late, fish a little, play with our children, and take siestas with our wives. In the evenings, we go into the village to see our friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs.
    We have a full life."

The tourist interrupted, "I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat."

"And after that?"

"With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers.
    Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City!!! From there you can direct your huge new enterprise."

"How long would that take?"

"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years." replied the tourist.

"And after that?"

"Afterwards? Well my friend, that's when it gets really interesting," answered the tourist, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start buying and selling stocks and make millions!"

"Millions? Really? And after that?" asked the fishermen.

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends."

"With all due respect sir, but that's exactly what we are doing now. So what's the point wasting twenty-five years?" asked the Mexicans.

And the moral of this story is:

Know where you're going in life, you may already be there! Many times in life, money is not everything.

“Live your life before life becomes lifeless”

• Like Like x 28
    • Agree Agree x 15
  2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Spot on Wessa.
    20 years ago I moved from Nottingham to Cornwall to escape the rat race, worked in Cornwall for about 15 years on lower pay then retired early.
    As a result I'm financially poorer, my pension is about half what it would've been had I stayed in that well payed job in Nottingham, but have no regrets.......except.
    Should've done it 20 years earlier. :)

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Couldn't agree more, I left the home counties just over 40 years ago and moved to Somerset, worked in a job travelling in Somerset and Dorset.
    I was asked several times to take a promotion to move to our head office in the midlands, but declined as my quality of life mattered more to me than a few extra pounds in salary.

I am now retired and as Col C says probably a bit poorer but the life here is much better and I certainly have no regrets. We even get to send the grockels on down the M5 to Col C in Cornwall!!

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    We're just looking at moving down towards Somerset, Devon etc.
    Lived in the SE for most of my life but I took early retirement back in 2018, my wife's now between jobs thanks to the lockdown, so it seems a good time to look for somewhere else a bit more relaxed......

• Like Like x 7
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I LOVE this fable, @Wessa. I first heard it years ago as told by Mr. Sandi and have heard it many times since then. It's one of the stories he tells that never gets old because the message is so spot on and a great reminder about those things in life that are truly important.

Thanks for sharing it. I'm glad it's a featured thread!! :):heart:

• Like Like x 5
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Thanks @Sandi T. it does strike a cord with most people. I retired at 52 from a major FTE's 100 company here in the UK. I then worked for myself for 10 years. During that period I only worked when I wanted to and eventually got to a point following a health scare that I wanted to retire fully. I have never looked back and now have the time to enjoy my family and do the things that I enjoy. :cool::heart:

• Like Like x 5
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    I come from a Polish family who worked and worked and worked. It is my life. Not like the fable, of gaining more money and resources, but doing things for people and fixing things is what I enjoy. I don't think I could be happy with a life where I need to decide what to do next. I want a list of projects and to be left alone to accomplish what I can. Retirement for me holds no treasure. I think I will be like my father and quietly die after a day's labor.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hey @Hobnail in life we all have choices and we do what is right for us. Your path is right for you, so go and enjoy your life what ever you do mate. :heart:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I "jumped off the roundabout" at age 40 after a career in financial services. Moved to Scotland and set up a stud farm breeding horses. Not a big money thing but loads of satisfaction. For my 40th birthday we had an outdoor party complete with bonfires and my main present, fully set-up complete with sails, in the pride of place. I had a great time in Scotland.

But time moves and I well remember my 50th birthday bash spent in France with a mixture of about 50 of French and English friends outside the front of our newly acquired house in France.

60th saw me still living France, still loving it totally. Hopefully I'll still feel the same in a couple of years for my 70th.

My wife and I decided that the pressures to be 'successful' in a modern day western style life were hollow to us, so we took 'our' track.

We have a lot less money than if I'd stayed in my career, but have a lot more happiness and contentment.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Time is our most precious commodity.
    "Man no more knows his own time that a fish caught in the fatal net, or birds caught in the snare; like these the children of men are caught when the evil time falls suddenly upon them"

Live life like you mean it. Tomorrow is not ours to know.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Worked 6/7 days a week in Manufacturing Maintenance and Production, one day had that light bulb moment, made career/country switch into Further Education in 2003 and from then on had weekends and great holidays with the family, money was a fair bit less but!!

Hopefully retire fully in 2yrs time but only working 3 days a week now best thing I ever done apart from finding my wife!!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #12 Col_C, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    So the wife's on this forum too then? ;):joy:

• Funny Funny x 5
  13. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I am lucky, in that I am still doing my job because I genuinely love it. Have said for the last 12 years I will leave the moment I stop enjoying it.....still here :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Yup Babes n Bikes section:p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Another early retiree here. Did go back to work again for a few weeks earlier this year but the enjoyment was not there anymore (like my memory :confused:) so decided I’d retire for good this time. I still have another four years before official retirement but financially I’m ok and I can go on trips any time I like (except the UK at the moment). I have no regrets, I left school at 16 and worked virtually continuously till the age of 61 so I think that’s enough.
    If you are still working and enjoy it, that’s great.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    #16 Wessa, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Yep I can understand loving your job. I really enjoyed mine, but I also enjoyed all the other things around me and there was not enough time for both. I did miss work initially, however soon learnt that there are so many more important things in life than work...

Edit: one other thought, never wish your life away. Time passes quick enough ❤️

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I retired way back at the end of 2008. I had been working full time.since 1963. Although I loved what I did, I hated the environment. Management as a group are clueless as to what technical people bring to the table. All they want to do is manipulate, politic, and dominate. I did not need it. Never had any aspirations about being in management. I planned my escape and took the money and ran at 63 years old. Don't know what passes for an Operating Engineer these days. I have no communication with that world anymore. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Usa
    I love that story.
    When I was 19 I worked maintenance at a retirement community and the residents would often come chat with me. They all said to do it when you’re young and I really took that to heart. I decided I want to surf all around the world. I would live as cheap as possible, work and save enough money to travel and go surfing every year for as long as the money lasted (usually 2-3 months) then I’d come back home and repeat the process. This is how I spent my 20’s then as I was turning 30 I got worried about my future so I stopped traveling and bought a house instead and just worked, thinking what an idiot I was for ever listening to those old folks and how far behind in life I was. So my 30’s were mostly work and with that taking on more responsibilities, but eventually I missed traveling . So my 40’s have been more balanced with one international trip a year but with all these responsibilities now I can only get away for two weeks or so. Now as I’m getting close to 50 I realize that the advice I took to heart all those years ago was spot on and I’m so lucky I had those experiences when I did, your only young once.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1