A Bike To Travel The World?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by SuperHans, Jul 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Recently got the idea to take a year off and just travel the world on two wheels.
    Have done a few trips on a motorcycle such as Sweden - Dublin (via London) etc but its still possible with any bike since its regular roads.

After a journey (London - Mongolia) in a Nissan Micra a few years ago I realised that there is some amazing places to be seen but to roads to get there isn't always the best. Same goes with trying to find mechanics and spareparts.

So...after mentioning spareparts I do realise that any Triumph prob won't do so looking at some other brands.

Have been looking at the Africa Twin as it seems to be a common bike that's used for these type of trips, but at the same time it looks dull as hell (but practial).

What do you think is a decent choice of brand and model to travel the world?

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    You could use any bike really. I’ve read accounts of people using C90s to GSs and everything inbetween.
    Have got to ask though, is it really the time to be travelling extensively in the current Covid situation? :worried:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    If you are going to be doing a lot of off road riding whatever you decide make sure you can pick it up when you drop it, this is now why a good number of folk use midsize bikes now, have a look at the link below.

https://www.adventurebikerider.com/

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    It surprises me that if your serious about this type of trip that you say quote
    “Have been looking at the Africa Twin as it seems to be a common bike that's used for these type of trips, but at the same time it looks dull as hell (but practical)”

Does it matter what the bike looks like.
    Come the end of the trip or even part way through the trip it’ll not look anything like the same bike as you started with.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead with the trip.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    #5 SuperHans, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Nah, looks doesn't matter that much, its more that what I drive today compared to the AF is prob not as fun to drive or to look at.
    Would have loved to do this type of trip on a classic bike with a bit of a nostalgic feel to it but I realise that its just not practical to do so.

For me I do love the feeling a bike gives me, that involves all from design to heritage to the feeling it gives when driving it.
    But, with that said....I have never driven an AF.....just judged it by its looks.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    I thought the same thing but at the same time I thought to myself...maybe this is the time to be travelling the world when all this madness is happening.
    Sure, for a Swede its a bit tricky to get into some countries, but when or if I get my arse into the saddle its prob november and hopefully the traveling situation is a bit better.

I was looking at the GS, in terms of spareparts worldwide (talking all from Iran to thailand now) is BMW a good choice?
    Haven't decided on a proper route but it would be cool to drive to Australia or something and a bit of a challenge :)

I know there is some mad countries in between but not to mad.

7. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Wow, that's a brilliant link. Have been looking at getting over to India and doing some travel on the Royal Enfield.

Deffo need to look into that blog a bit more, thanks

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    this is a very important point especially if your going off road,I recently dropped my 1200 scrambler on a steep hill , the bike was side ways on the hill and fell over with the tank pointing down the hill making it a very awkward heavy lift,I’ve weight trained all my life and deadlift twice a week and I can tell you I only just got the bike upright on my own , I’d look for something light as possible, I personally I wouldn’t go the bmw route as they are way too heavy and have had issues with reliability, I’d go light as possible and Japanese.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I've mentioned it before but by all accounts that is what the Tenere 700 was built for. Apparently no bells and whistles (less to go wrong), easily fixed and good on and off road. Lots of reviews out there for it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Very good point, I remember dropping my Thunderbird 1600 when visiting UK and after that I realised that Its a good thing to have a bike that doesn't require a handful of people to get on its wheels again.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Didn't know about the Tenere 700s existence up until now. Haven't been looking at that type of bike at all.
    But will deffo have a look, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    This would be my recommendation as well ......

• Like Like x 1
  14. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    It’s amazing how much strength you can muster when needed.
    I somehow managed to pick up Mrs Freck‘s VFR800 with full panniers, a roll bag on the back and tank bag when she dropped it in Scotland, and somehow reached over it to get the sidestand out! :eek:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    that would be a great bike, tough reliable and good on fuel, I would choose this over a Royal Enfield as you’d only need to wash it and put fuel in it, I bet oil changes are 10.000 miles too.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    if she was ugly nobody would give a fuck what she was riding.

17. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    Yamaha quote a German magazine that claims the mt07 engine that’s fitted in the tenere is the most reliable engine you can buy.

• Like Like x 2
  18. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Interesting input.
    Now I have had ridden some MX but never had an offroad MC.
    One thing I do see is that most offroad bikes has spoked wheels.

I know google prob knows the answer to this one, but what is the main benefit over spoked wheels compared to cast wheels?
    Some said its the weight and that the spoke wheels are "softer" and acts as a bit of suspension...is that what is it all about?

19. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #19 Sandi T, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Hi Super Hans. Sounds like a great trip but as has been mentioned, I’d be leery because of Covid also. That said, I’d make sure the bike is reliable, that spare parts are readily available or at least probably available worldwide, that I could pick the bike up by myself including luggage (sounds like you’re going it alone?), and that I could put decent mileage on it without being miserably uncomfortable for the long haul.

With so much information available through this forum and online, I’d do tons of research before making a bike choice—your choice could make or break such a major trip.

Happy hunting. :) Oh, and do test rides at at every opportunity. :grinning: If and when you go, we'd love to read about and see pics of your trip!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Usa
    Drz400, simple, reliable, and lightweight

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1