98 Trident - Info Request

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by newT120, Apr 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    I'm just about to press the "buy" button on a 98 Trident 750 to use as a second bike - 25k miles and excellent condition, but it is fitted with a "Sprint" half-fairing.
    Did the 750 Trident have a Sprint version in its line-up, or is this an add-on please ? Not too bothered either way, as it has been well done and the rest of the bike seems ace.
    Any comments/advice much appreciated - thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I am no expert but am pretty sure in was only the 900 Trident that later got called the Trident Sprint that had the small nose fairing, if I am wrong no doubt someone will be along shortly to correct me!

• Like Like x 1
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I think you might be right Billy but I think that the bikes were the same apart from the engine size so assume no problem fitting the fairing to a 750 bike.
    Watch out for the sprag clutch on these motors. Battery must always be fully charged, headlight off and clutch in (every little helps!).

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Yep good advise, had to replace sprag clutch on my 96 Trident Sprint :mad::mad::mad:

• Like Like x 1
  5. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    Thanks for the advice guys - it's going to be garaged when not in use and the battery will be on a trickle charger (I know nowt about Tridents, but presume the battery is easily accessible and I can take it out/put it back without too much hassle - my garage doesn't have power in it as it's in a block away from the house).

6. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Yes battery is easy to access, just lift the seat and it there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Battery is under the seat just behind the tank 2 x terminal bolts and the strap across the top of the battery and lift out.

Take a bit of extra care not to catch / damage the overflow hose and elbow as it crosses the top edge of the battery.

• Like Like x 1
  8. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    Seems easy enough - I just have to decide whether to go ahead and buy it !

9. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    Thanks for that DD - very interesting.
    The bike is being sold by a dealer and the ad does say the Sprint fairing had been added for additional weather protection - it looks like a good job, so I'm not particularly bothered it's not a standard fitment.
    To buy or not to buy...

10. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Trident 750 & 900 were both available in 1998, but it was the last year, both were dropped for 1999

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    DD - it's £1990 inc. new MOT plus complete check over inc. oil/filter etc. and 1000m/3 mths warranty, and delivery to me (120m away). In silver. Only seen pics, but looks ace, even though the Sprint screen is non-standard and the mirrors are still on the bars instead of the fairing.

12. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    Appreciate that DD - thanks.
    I'm not buying it with an eye to making a profit later, but rather to just ride now and then for enjoyment; for those occasions when I don't want to use my new T120 (like when it's going to rain, 'cos those damn spokes and the chrome rims etc. take an age to clean !).

• Like Like x 2