97 Daytona T595 Clutch Springs

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Guztaw, Oct 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Guztaw

Guztaw New Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Sweden
    Hi Forum!

A few months ago I had my first crash ever. I was traveling down a straight road at about 60 km/h. Whilst shifting into 4th gear the rear wheel locked up and sent me sliding down the pavement about 20 meters. The bike had a few scratches but was in pretty good shape. It started up and ran fine but I decided put it into gear as I believed the gearbox had exploded.

Fast forward to today when I finally got around to pulling the engine and disassembled the engine from the bottom to get it ready for a gearbox rebuild. To my surprise I couldn't find any signs a blown gearbox nor could I find any signs of a bad trust washer as I found was a common problem while doing research prior to pulling the engine. I found a piece of metal lying in a puddle of oil that was left in the bottom of the engine (guess its the middle of the engine since its upside down). The piece (see picture) looked lie a part of a small spring.

After looking around for a few minutes I traced it to the clutch (see pictures). I couldn't find anything about replacing these in the Haynes Manual nor did I find anything online except for that this seems to be a common problem on the older models and that it was fixed in the newer engines.

I assume the spring broke, made its way into the gearbox and then got wedged between two gears causing the rear wheel to lock up. Guess thats just my luck...

So I came here to get some knowledge from you kind people.

What do I do now? Are there replacement springs? Do I get a new clutch basket? Does the clutch fit from newer models? Should I check/replace anything else since I've already go the engine disassembled?

Any knowledge is greatly appreciated as I want to prevent any future malfunctions.
    Thanks

T595 CLUTCH-2-min.jpg

T595 CLUTCH-min.jpg

T595 CLUTCH3-min.jpg