Trophy '96 Trophy 900 Start Issue

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by TXTrophy, Aug 22, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TXTrophy

TXTrophy New Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Waco,TX
    Good Day Everyone!
    New to this Triumph forum and seeking technical advice regarding my old '96 Trophy 900.
    She has been parked for a few years while life issues prevented riding. I have had her for 12 years.
    A few years into ownership I had to occasionally tap on the start relay to get her to start. No big deal
    really and I have replaced the relay in the past and checked/cleaned all the wiring connections. The
    problem reoccurred on occasion even with the new relay particularly if the battery was not fully charged.
    I am in the process of getting her roadworthy again and after installing a new fully charged battery the
    issue remains. I have to tap it every time I try to start it. Could it be as simple as dirty contacts on the
    start button itself? Other than that, What do I need to look for ? I can hold the start button and tap the relay and she cranks. Any advice is greatly appreciated !

2. TXTrophy

TXTrophy New Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Waco,TX
    Update: What I was calling the relay is actually the solenoid. Today was no different than before, After an initial tap or two it will behave normally the rest of the day. Low battery voltage from sitting a week ?
    Any way, I pulled and cleaned the carbs (hate that job) and got her running.
    Took off the air box also and the actual filter is dried out and crumbling.
    Got one coming but the reassembly is on hold for a week.

3. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    It sounds like you may have a 'dead spot' on the starter. WIth the bike being laid up so long I'd guess it might need the brushes and commutator to be cleaned. I've no idea how easy or difficult it is to remove the starter but - to coin a phrase - that might be a good place to start! <GROAN>

Good luck with it.