'96 Adventurer 900 - Carburetors

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by PFEDave, Sep 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PFEDave

PFEDave New Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Rockford IL
    I recently purchased a 96 Adventurer with only 3,200 mi on it. It had not been running for several years. I took it to a local shop here in the Chicago area and they told me that there was a problem with the carburetors. they could get the bike to start but couldn't keep it running. Apparently replacement carburetors for this year and model of bike are very hard to come by. Looking for a suggestions on how I might find some or what else might work aftermarket as a replacement.

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Eminently fixable. Your enemy is dirt - specifically the residue and varnish from evaporated fuel that is blocking the tiny holes in jets and ports. The carb bowls probably contain red sand too.....tank rust!
    Your friend is a carb cleaner aerosol to dissolve dirt but best of all an ultrasonic bath to bring everything back up shiny and new. You need to partially disassemble carb slides, float bowls and floats.
    You really want to rinse out the tank, clean the fuel tap and gauze (you might need a new neoprene gasket) and replace all the perished fuel lines and the vacuum caps on the carb inlet stubs. YouTube awash with ‘how to’ vids.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    +1 for what Callumity said.
    I would just add that you could try a good fuel system cleaner in the petrol tank before you start dismantling everything. It may just save you a lot of work and/or money. Works on my Trident!

• Like Like x 1
  4. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Take it apart and clean it, I've looked at the parts diagram. It looks very similar to the Keihin carb's on my Kawasaki.
    If it's struggling to idle, it's probably the pilot jet.
    Here is a video of me cleaning mine, it's quite straight forward.

• Like Like x 2
  5. PFEDave

PFEDave New Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Rockford IL

6. PFEDave

PFEDave New Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Rockford IL
    The shop that's working on my bike said that there are some plastic components inside the carburetors that have dried out while in storage and deteriorated to the point where they have split. They are needed for the proper function of the carburetors. They can get the bike started but it won't stay running. Back to my original ask. Does anyone have a line on possible replacements or which aftermarket parts I could use?

7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Stuart Budd

Stuart Budd New Member

Sep 11, 2020
    Gloucestershire
    BST36s were used on lots of Jap stuff too … there is a plentiful supply of spare parts / rebuild kits and it's not a difficult job.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Just plug in Mikuni BST36 in to your search engine. You should have no problem. I have a set on one of my 900's. I haven't been in to them in a few.years now. Your mechanic should know how to find this stuff. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PFEDave

PFEDave New Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Rockford IL
    What I need are the float assemblies. What seems to be strange is that these are plastic parts instead of brass or other metal and I am having a hard time finding these. Part #11 in the above diagram. Actual part number is 1240061-T0301 and seems to be out of stock everywhere I look.

11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Like Like x 1
  13. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    G’day!

9FE2DCB4-6B8C-4A0A-8BFB-BC578A679A7A.png

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. PFEDave

PFEDave New Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Rockford IL
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Dan Mercer

Dan Mercer Member

Sep 25, 2021
    Sanford, Michigan
    Hi. I found Eurocycle in Vegas that I get my floats and other parts from. Here is the phone number. Chris is the guy you want to talk to.
    1 (702) 454-6269 Hope this helps.

17. Dan Mercer

Dan Mercer Member

Sep 25, 2021
    Sanford, Michigan
    By the way, mine is a 96 triumph adventurer 900 cc.