955i Starting Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Triumph Merlin, May 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Triumph Merlin

Triumph Merlin New Member

May 28, 2018
    Scotland
    Hi all, hoping someone can help as I am at my wit's end! Recently my Daytona 955i 03 mosel starts perfectly every morning, settles down to a perfect tick over and would run all day but as soon as the engine is switched off it turns over but won't start.
    Used a diagnostic machine and fault code P0135 came up which is a faulty lambda sensor. I replaced the lambda sensor but still have the same problem with restarting the bike after a 10-15 mile run. The EML light is on - could the problem be simply that the fault code has not been cleared yet or could there be a separate temperature sensor to blame?
    Any suggestions welcome. Cheers.

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    My 955i had cracked coils, this could be your problem.Take it slow there will be more advice along soon.

3. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Sounds like a faulty crankshaft position sensor (heat soak).
    Does it start ok if you leave it for 20 minutes or so?
    Check for fuel pump prime noise when switching on ignition. Multi meter check across CPS terminals of 600 ohms.

4. Triumph Merlin

Triumph Merlin New Member

May 28, 2018
    Scotland
    Hi guys, thanks for replying. The bike's taking hours to restart although I am getting the fuel pump prime noise when switching on. The only fault code that came up was the lambda sensor which I have cleared now but still have the same problem. How would I check the crankshaft sensor? Any advice would be welcome as I really don't fancy paying £72 an hour and waiting weeks before Edinburgh Triumph can look at it. Cheers.

5. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    I'm just thinking out loud - Did you buy an OEM sensor, or an aftermarket replacement? If it isn't a Triumph sensor, there might be a calibration issue on your sensor that is still telling the ECM that something isn't right. However, if that was the case, I would expect to see another error code if it is serious enough to prevent the bike from starting. If other sensors are failing, including the Crankshaft Position Sensor, I would expect to see additional error codes. Have you tried to read the codes again?

This is going to sound like a 'stretch,' but have you thoroughly checked out your battery? Heat can be a problem for a battery. If your problem is only happening when the bike is hot and your battery is marginal, it may not be putting out enough amperage to start the bike. After it sits long enough, it may be gaining just enough power to start the bike. It's easy enough to check out the battery and rule it out before you start digging into harder things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. T301

T301 New Member

Jul 16, 2018
    France
    Greetings from France :p

I also own a 955i daytona from 1999, I have had this problem for a couple of years too, will start perfectly when cold but refuses to start on a regular basis after a 10/15 kms ride, did you come up with a solution in the end ?

7. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    On EFI cars a major cause of bad hot start is a failed ECU coolant temp sensor, the ECU will run the AFRs rich by default making hot starts very difficult, but fine when cold.